Watch Out for Flying Hooks - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2009   #1

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Watch Out for Flying Hooks

I'm admitedly new to the floating community. I'm into float fishing, and respect that we all have to share the water, and so appreciate that we are lucky to have so much great water to share. But last weekend I got aft-boned by what in my view is an irresponsible raft guide (put mildly). My client (READ: dude who paid $300 + to fish via drift boat) was out in front, casting away (READ: very sharp fish hooks flying thru the air!). Raft guide boy decides, right before the Eye of the Needle on the Upper C, that he wants to pass me, only his crew is no where near strong or sync'd up enough to pull it off. So he smashes right up alongside my boat. I never heard him coming, nor did my client who remained oblivious, still casting away because this is a great section in which to catch larger browns. Soon my oar is half way across the raft, threatening to puncture someone's soft underbelly. The guide yells, "keep paddling everyone!" But half of the boat has no where to go because they are all up in me and my boat. Question: Being downstream, don't I have the right of way? Why wouldn't the guide just hold up, instead of attempting an impossible pass and flailing and failing miserably? I've come across this before, ego-trippin' poser guides who want to try to pass, and fail. I understand we all have to share the river, and there will be the occasional, "oops, sorry for bumping in to you dude," but some of these folks need to be more aware of those of us out their fishing. If I saw someonoe casting a fish rod, I'd stay the hell away. And I'm not talking about scaring fish, that's the least of my concern. Rather there is a very real possibility of someone getting a fish hook in the eyeball, or lip, or gut, etc. Like all activities, places and things, 95 percent of folks are spot on responsible. And then there is the other 10 percent to whom I say, watch out and stay clear of flying razor sharp fish hooks!

HighOnMyHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009   #2

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Sounds more than a little irresponsible (bone-headed) to me. Waiting for a more appropriate time to pass should have been fairly easy. You fisherman folk (I'm one too).....tend to take on the river a little more slowly, carefully, diligently....in an effort to NOT miss good holes. I would imagine there would have been plenty of time before or after to make an acceptable pass.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #3
sj

Not an indicator of the rafting community you unfortunately ran into a clueless and incompetent guide. imo
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009   #4

denver, Colorado
I witnessed the same thing at Eye of the needle this Saturday...Just as one rafter was getting ready to straighten out and float by the big rock...some idiot rammed him from behind...spun him sideways and partially wrapped him on the rock...they did wave as they passed him and shouted 'Sorry Brah!!'

Don't the few bad apples spoil the bunch...and keep an eye out for those stealthy ram boats.
mlmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #5

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
I agree the downstream boat has the right of way. However, I have seen fishermen ferrying or in an eddy, then pull into the current without looking up stream. In fact it's happened to me. I was nearly to the wave train at the South Canyon rapid and fishermen in a drift boat pulled right out in front of me. With my momentum I couldn't do anything to slow down. I hit him and snapped a rod tip off. Of course, I got my ass chewed by the guide. My opinion is the guide was covering his ass in front of the customer. He should have looked to see if anyone was coming before pulling out.

Another thing that some drift boat pilots don't always realize is that they can go WAY slower in current than rafts. It's one of the advantages of a flat hulled boat. If the drift boat pilot is ferrying, most likely the raft pilot can not slow down enough to stay up stream.

Edit: In fairness to drift boaters, this is something that a lot of rafters/kayakers don't realize either. Besides the incident mentioned above, I have learned the lesson more than once to give the slower moving drift boats some extra distance while running rapids.
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Gee, a thread where I can speak my mind about Fishing and River Guides...

Best keep my thoughts to myself.
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #7

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
I was in a pontoon with 4 flyrods pointing off the back just above Needle's Eye when I was rear ended by 2 duckies... I yelled, "back off, control your boats" and they replied, "sorry, we don't know what we're doing!" It's just not that hard to check upstream and take your turn going thru the rapid... Wasn't that a subject in Kindergarten? Taking turns? Not a good place to be screwing up or screwing around. If fishing craft are going slowly (as they should) they should be easy to pass at the right time.

SH
Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #8

3, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
This shouldn't be a complicated issue. As a newby on the river in kayaks, rafts and duckies I sometimes don't know all the "rules of engagement" so what I do is I put myself in the other persons boat and ask myself what I would like if I was in that persons shoes. Rafting several weekends ago on the upper C with a group of 5 in my private boat I came across a log jam of rafters and fly fishing boats. I couldn't tell who was in line to enter the Eye of the Needle, if they were hangin out fishing or waiting in line. I simply used common sense and said "hello, I don't want to cut in line but are you guys waiting to enter the rapids, or holding up while fishing" the guy in the other boats politely said I could go around and one said they were waiting in line. While we floated and waited our turn, we ended up chatting about how the fishing was etc and making some river friends.
Point I'm trying to make, is you have to be considerate of other people........put yourself in their shoes and ask what would I want if I was in their boat. BUT some people only think of themselves and fail to see that others on the river want to have just as much fun as them.
The raft guide should have had the courtesy to give your fishing trip the consideration that you all where fishing and to stay away as to not disturb your trip and client. When he did goof up, polite apologize with humility and move on as quick as possible as to not disturb any longer.
Its not that hard, people just don't stop and think about anyone else but themselvs.
Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I have to ask...did the river guide have a scraggy goatee? I ask because I twice floated the upper C last weekend, once on Friday with my family, then the next day with a family who bid/won the float in an auction where I donated the float for my daughter's school.

Both days the same guide was rude and acted like he owned the river. He had his crew paddle around us, cutting us off without so much as a word, once just so he could beat us to Island for a good lunch spot. I've learned just to pull over in those situations, but he could have handled it better.

I joke about my disdain for fishing and river guides quite often...that said, all it takes is one out of 20 to be rude and it gives the whole industry a bad name. The pressure fishing guides must feel to get their "sports" into fish must be difficult. That said, being river bullies with a complete disregard for fellow floaters/fishermen is pathetic. Teaching river/fishing etiquette should be part of both jobs. I won't even start with how a smile and a few kind words to other floaters would help change the public perception of guides.
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #10

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolsGuy View Post
I have to ask...did the river guide have a scraggy goatee? I ask because I twice floated the upper C last weekend, once on Friday with my family, then the next day with a family who bid/won the float in an auction where I donated the float for my daughter's school.

Both days the same guide was rude and acted like he owned the river. He had his crew paddle around us, cutting us off without so much as a word, once just so he could beat us to Island for a good lunch spot. I've learned just to pull over in those situations, but he could have handled it better.

I joke about my disdain for fishing and river guides quite often...that said, all it takes is one out of 20 to be rude and it gives the whole industry a bad name. The pressure fishing guides must feel to get their "sports" into fish must be difficult. That said, being river bullies with a complete disregard for fellow floaters/fishermen is pathetic. Teaching river/fishing etiquette should be part of both jobs. I won't even start with how a smile and a few kind words to other floaters would help change the public perception of guides.
You have distain for fishing? Please elaborate as I think you could hate something more worthy like mountain top removal or dams or.....
Hey Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote