Was that YOU I saw Camped at Buck Farm in the Grand? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-16-2013   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Was that YOU I saw Camped at Buck Farm in the Grand?

Your trip is still on the water, but...

I am looking for the folks who launched about March 8, 9 or 10, 2013. Three trips, two with a dory or two, and one with two yellow paddle boats. I have photos of your trips from the top of the Redwall, at Buck Farm Camp (with one dory) and at Upper Saddle Camp (with two yellow paddle boats) and floating between Harding and Saddle (three dory's as both trips ran together). Please e-mail me direct ([email protected]) if you get this message after your trip. It's great to finally get the through line from Lee's Ferry to Sagittarius Ridge (west of Crystal). Step by step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030569 cleaned view of Buck Farm March 13 2013.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	5731  

Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013   #2

Waverly, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1999
Ahhh...Buckfarm...sweet sweet memories.

One of my favorite spots in the Canyon. Cool to see camp from that angle!

AG
agunnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Got some stunning shots of this section, but it was by far one of the hardest hikes i have done in the Canyon. All the best, tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013   #4

Waverly, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1999
Where's the trailhead for that hike? How long?

Here's one of my favorite pics from Buckfarm, looking up stream...

agunnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
Hi Agunnoe, not sure of your Grand Canyon hiking experience, so please do not take this as a flippant reply.

If you are thinking a maintained trail like the North or South Kaibab, or the unmaintained trails like the Escalante, Tonto between Bass and Hermit, or the Lava Falls trail, think again. There is no trail for this one, it's all route finding.

That said, some of the best Grand Canyon exploration is route finding. This one started at the route into 36.7 Mile Canyon, then south along the Redwall top past Marble Canyon Damsite, then in and out around the Buck Farm drainage, top of the Redwall of course. Water management is very critical here, as the next section is the Point Hansbrough "U" (I chose to take the Hansbrough gap "shortcut"), then way in and out again to get around the Saddle Canyon Redwall, then down to 49.7 Mile Canyon for the hike out what I am calling the "Whicked" chute, a fault chute of angle of repose loose boulders going from the Redwall direct to the Rim, just over a half mile north of Boundary Ridge. It's a 2,000 foot elevation gain in only 1/2 mile or so...

Pothole water management is the key to this journey, as is having very good Grand Canyon routefinding skills. In three nights 4 days, I passed two cairns. Two. One at the the top of the 36.7 Mile Route, and the next at the survey marker at Boundary Ridge. It was three nights and four days of pure heaven, and one of the hardest hikes i have ever done in Grand Canyon.

Finishing this small 14 mile section completes a hiking line in Grand Canyon from Lee's Ferry to just a ways west of Crystal for me, and wandering the Sagittarius Ridge to Evans Butte and Toroweap to Whitmore routes will link Lee's to Diamond. Only 18 or so folks have completed the "through line" from Lee's to Pearce, given the rugged nature of the land. Todd Seliga just completed his second through hike, in 24 days no less. Being on the 50 year plan myself, I hope to complete before i die. By then, the number of through hikers may have reached 100. But why race through Paradise?

Hope this helps, yours, tom
Old 03-16-2013   #6

Flagstaff, Arizona
Another shot

This is a late afternoon shot looking upriver from about 37.4 mile. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030375 Upstream view 37.4 Mile cleaned.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	5733  
Old 03-16-2013   #7

Flagstaff, Arizona
If you are on Facebook, search "Tom Martin Flagstaff". I just put up a few photos from this hike in a folder titled 36.7 Mile to Boundary Ridge. Enjoy.