Warning! Cinnamon Gorge!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-16-2007   #1

Warning! Cinnamon Gorge!!!

hey so anyone thinking about rallying out to cinnamon gorge, i highly discourage it. the gague says perfect flow, but it is TOO LOW! the gague must be wrong or something, because cody and i just got out yesterday i got auto ejected out of the falls and consider myself lucky to not be a parapallegic (sp?). trust me when i tell you the flow is maximum 100cfs not 270 like it says. 250cfs actually in there i think would have been better, but when the lip of the 60'er is 6" deep on the right and 1" on the left it's NOT good to go. look for a trip report and some video of our CO trip coming soon to www.huckinhuge.com

- Mike

PS - seriously the only reason i ran it is because it looked marginally better than the portage that cody almost got jacked on. anyone with anymore questions can PM me.

HuckinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
the gauge for that run is waaay downstream, below Lake City, so theres only about half, or even less in the box than what there is on the gauge.

as far as (im assuming eddyflower) telling you that is good, its just mis set on the flows. ill see if i can fix that right now.

sorry you had a bad time, it is a little late in the season to be down there. glad to hear there were no serious injuries.
Old 07-16-2007   #3

honestly

actually, to be honest i had a GREAT time, it is a cool run. but the gague was def. misleading and i'm lucky we had a good time with one incident instead of a bad time. thanks man!
HuckinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007   #4

in the ditches, ......
Paddling Since: 1996
Ahh yes.....mis-leading gauges.....but it went (semi) Mike had a killer line off the 60'er....and the gorge is awesome, just that it needed DOUBLE the flow! So here is MY recommended flows with the gauge to look for:

USGS 09124500 LAKE FORK AT GATEVIEW, CO.
MIN: 400cfs
IDEAL: 500
MAX: 600

There you go and here is a little teaser pic for the upcoming footy on hh.com:

SCOUTING THE FALLS
Old 07-16-2007   #5

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Glad you're alright Mike, don't say I didn't warn you about cinni...haha

Coming to the Cherry Race?

Paul
PaulGamache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #6
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhoward View Post

USGS 09124500 LAKE FORK AT GATEVIEW, CO.

yeah.... ^ see that? Gateview is 30 some miles downstream from Lake City, and the Cinnamon Gorge is almost 20 miles upstream. thats near 50 miles of river, including two large tributaries. again, glad no one got hurt, but you should expect a little discrepancy in the gauge with that kind of distance
Old 07-17-2007   #7

in the ditches, ......
we did....just corrections for future long drives....thx bro
Old 07-17-2007   #8

Hey Mike

Dude, All you had to do was call me! Maybe you lost my number,
Alex
970 209 8881
If you all are still around there are some goods to be gotten still on this side of the mountains!
Alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007   #9

Cinnamon Falls

Glad you guys went into Cinny and were able to huck your meat.

Jeremy and I did our exploratory of Cinnamon in early July in 2005 (a better snowpack year) and it was at minimal flow at that time. I would think that - in an average year - late June would be a prime time to get in there. And i'll give my standard warning about the falls for those considering it: it's a big hit at the bottom. I think the LZ was a little "green" when we were there at low flow so maybe higher water would make the landing softer.

Glad y'all had fun in Cinnamon. Props for going in there.

Looking forward to seeing some Cinny action on your site.

Cheers,
Gordon Dalton
GDalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007   #10

in the ditches, ......
Yeah, Gordon...i saw your pictures on AW and when we arrived, we were like............shit. Hey since you are one the few that have been in there as well.....you'll know what i'm talking about......one of the highlights in there was the "purgatory camp". Did you all see that one in '05 ? The campsite in the bottom of that bitch.....right next to the eddy above the falls......really cool stuff, and added to the adventure for sure! Colorado's very own Purgatory Camp, only way "less" committing. Oh and props for dropping in there for the first time!!! Damn that must of been a thrill!