Want to whitewater kayak, but stuck in FL. - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2012   #1

Saint Petersburg, Florida
Paddling Since: 2012
Want to whitewater kayak, but stuck in FL.

I have been wanting to get into white water kayaking since about 15 years ago, but work, kids, and being stuck here in south FL forced me to put it out of my mind all that time ... that is until I went whitewater rafting with my family at NOC in NC. All those desires to kayak came back pretty quickly.

My wife loves to travel, so I would not get much of a hassle from her about going on kayaking trips... she will explore the area while I kayak and is up for going just about anywhere.

So I am planning to take a whitewater kayaking class at NOC this summer. I was thinking about buying some used gear after the class ... that way I could play in the waves here in FL between trips, to work on skills.

Just had a few questions...

1) Will playing in the surf with a white water kayak help my whitewater skills?

2) Are there any other white water kayakers stuck here in south Florida?

3) For shorter day or weekend trips, where is the nearest whitewater to FL that will be worth the drive?

Thanks
Tom

flgliderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012   #2

SYOTR, Tennessee
You might get more info on boatertalk.com . it is more focused on boating in the southeast
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
1) Will playing in the surf with a white water kayak help my whitewater skills?
Fuck yeah!

Just be careful--surf kayaking is as addictive as whitewater kayaking.

Do note that surf etiquette is different for kayakers, and among other things, you can catch waves that stand-up surfers can't, so give way and let them catch the waves they can.

Look for an old Necky Rip or a Dagger Kingpin with fin boxes.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012   #4

Saint Petersburg, Florida
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Fuck yeah!

Just be careful--surf kayaking is as addictive as whitewater kayaking.

Do note that surf etiquette is different for kayakers, and among other things, you can catch waves that stand-up surfers can't, so give way and let them catch the waves they can.

Look for an old Necky Rip or a Dagger Kingpin with fin boxes.
Cool thanks.. yeah I am a surfer so I know the deal, but I'll be called a kook no matter what since I am not on my stomach paddling! haha

Probably be a good idea to have buddy for this too huh?
flgliderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
Cool thanks.. yeah I am a surfer so I know the deal, but I'll be called a kook no matter what since I am not on my stomach paddling! haha

Probably be a good idea to have buddy for this too huh?
You know the lineup--have fun.

A buddy would be less critical in surf. Floatbags would be very critical, though!!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #6

miami, Florida
Paddling Since: 2002
having fun in the surf

The surf is a blast if you are in the right boat. Find me on face book- surfka yaker lacroix - there are a few of us here in south Florida. I am a surf kayak addict.
surfkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #7

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
3 - You need gravity, so I'd guess the nearest would be the northern half of Georgia until you hit a decent set of hills.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #8

Avon, Colorado
1) yes surf kayaking is similar to riding a wave in the river (paddle into it, edging/boat lean for turns)
2) yes, kayakers are everywhere...although they maybe disguised as SUPers and proner's
3) like said, north GA and NOC.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #9

Lyons, Colorado
I miss the Chattooga, especially when we get a 3 week season out here. Make the drive a couple of times a year. It's worth it.
I've heard there are some cool creeks in AL, but not sure of the rating.
loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Flgliderpilot,

Missed that you are in St. Pete the 1st time I read t his.The closest W W to you is Columbus Whitewater Park .It varies wildly with flow, down right huge wave high but much more reasonable medium.or low and flushes into flatwater anyway.I tried solo boating between Ohio and Panama City in early April and had s hard time finding stuff to my liking with water but not cranking.If I had it to do again I would listen to the folks that recommended the Tellico and Occoee right off 75 northeast of Atlanta not too far from NOC...was pleasantly surprised that Panama City had good surf, but there was a storm the night before..paddled around Bradenton /Sarasota and Pas A Grille before but only chop when it got windy.Does it ever get good? A buddy who surfed when I lived in St.Pete was always running over to Daytona when it was up..Have heard Cocoa Beach is Florida 's best surf. Any opinions?

Surfkayaker what 's good town by Miami? been to pretty much all the beaches between South Beach and Boca (lived in Deerfield Beach area) don 't remember many good waves unless stormy.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote