Visiting New Zealand for 7 months - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-25-2011   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Visiting New Zealand for 7 months

Does anyone have any paddling connections in NZ? I will be there for 7 months (December through June). I would like to paddle III-IV. Does anyone has any suggestions on obtaining a boat and gear as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bulabula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
Its not whitewater, but I would highly recommend that you rent sea kayaks and do Abel Tasman. Take the Kayaks as far as you can go, have them taxied back to the rental company, and finish the rest of the hike on foot. One of my top experiences when i was there.
gwheyduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #3

Golden, Colorado
Awesome!! Thanks for the advice. I've heard that trek is beautiful. Any other suggestions (boating or non-boating)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
The hike to Liverpool Hut was excellent. Liverpool Hut | Photographs | New Zealand Tramper: hiking and walking community information. There is good pickup ultimate frisbee in Dunedin, and that is always a good way to meet locals and perhaps score a place to sleep for the night. I love Aurthur's pass, and skiing there is unlike any you will every do anywhere... plus some incredible climbing/bouldering at Castle Hill... I could list more but those were some favorites.
gwheyduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I kayaked down there for a few months. There are paddlers, shops and WW resources all over. It is super cool down there. Have fun. I second Abel Tasman.
Old 10-25-2011   #6

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
South Island or North Island? I have spent some time in NZ? Auckland has a good paddling club that I'm sure you could hook up with. In the south Island Dunedin has a club too I think... Anyhow internet search kayak clubs and get in contact with them. The kiwi's are awesome and I'm sure someone will be able to hook you up.

As for advice: You can go as big or small as you want down there- easily. I did a small amount of boating and a lot of hiking and fly fishing. The shotover river by Queenstown is the only boating I did- class IV in high water, class III in low. Fun, but the drive to the put-in is the scariest thing... Hiking- get on ANY "great walks"- I did not do Abel Tasman, but it looks sweet. The Routeburn Trek is amazing- it can be done as a long day hike instead of 2 nights. I fished/backcountry hiked, the greenstone and caples rivers. Big trout. Also did 10 days through the Karamea River basin fish/hike. The Karakea coudl eb an epic multi-day whitewater trip IV+ (need a heli to drop you off).

On the North Island- the Tongiriro River has some Class III at higher flows, but famous fishery. The Mohaka River headwaters- again good backcountry hiking/fishing and could be a cheaper heli trip w/ kayak, though how much whitewater I do not know. I am fogetting a couple great rivers on the North Island- one is a canoe trip "great walk"- looked sick. Enjoy! It rains a lot there, the mountains are big, and I love it.

If you end up in Australia, I have better Kayaking hook-ups/knowledge down in Victoria.

If you head to Australia there is stuff to run too. I know more about the boating there, so just give a holler.
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
You are gonna love it there! I went there !an [email protected]@ for a couple of weeks, and really wished I'd been able to stay longer. Most of the people we ran into were staying 4-6 months.

I didn't have any WW experiences down there, but resources are EVERYWHERE.. For cheap gear, check the bulletin boards at local hostels. People that are leaving try to offload there stuff cheap for extra cash.

as far as non-ww experiences: don't pass up sea kayaking the milford sound. Amazing scenery that is secong to none. Look up Roscoe's Milford Kayaks. They're cheap and have great guides.

also, on the north island, look at the Whanganui river journey. It's a 3-5 day canoe trip through amazing NZ scenery. If you wanna see examples, check out my youtube channel, it's trevorandkristen.

there are both ww and non ww outfitters everywhere, you won't have problems. They're tripping over themselves for business..
WetExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
One more thing: If you do the Whanganui river on the North Island, look up Yeti Tours for canoe/kayak rentals. They're off the beaten path in Oakune, but they have the best prices by far.

Yeti Tours
WetExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #9

Golden, Colorado
Thank you so much. Your responses have been awesome!! I am starting to look up some of those suggestions...can't wait to get over there!
Old 10-26-2011   #10
Everyone needs a vacation

Fairfield, California
Paddling Since: 1998
If you end up on the South Island, based on your request for info, I would recommend New Zealand Kayak School - kayaking courses in nz: - People in Murchison. There are lots of good III - IV runs in the area. The Kayak School rents boats and sells gear. Also, if you get a wild hair they offer all kinds of great instruction from basic up to swiftwater rescue. You will meet other boaters from around the world at the Riverview Campground & Cafe located on the east edge of town along the Buller River.
BDPADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote