Visiting in Dillon want to kayak - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-17-2012   #1

binghamton, New York
Paddling Since: 2005
Visiting in Dillon want to kayak

I am in Dillon, CO until 4/9 to ski but I have my kayak with me for pool practice. Looking at the weather, I was wondering if anyone is doing something easy (class II/III) maybe Grizzly to Glenwood Springs? And would let someone they don't know join them? Next weekend looks warm again. I'm from NY and know next to nothing about water out here.

ritag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012   #2

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Grizzly or the upper C if it's not frozen. You could also run shoshone.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
You could possibly drive down and do some low-water boating on the Ark. Most of the class II water is too shallow to enjoy, but there are a couple of really good III-III+ runs that are still flowing around here. Lot's of technical boulder dodging, but way more character than the upper C or Shoshone.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012   #4

Copper Mountain, Colorado
If you run the Salmon back in NY you'd love shoshone.

Edit: I would suggest maybe stopping into Ten Mile Kayaks in Frisco and talking to Matty, he knows a lot of the local class III boaters(store is open fri-sun right now).
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #5

binghamton, New York
Cphilli, I do run the Salmon at home but this would be my first water of the year and a new river for me, so something really easy might be better. I'd just like to find someone to paddle with and would think about shoshone if that what I have to do to get something set up.

I did talk to Matti at Ten Mile Kayaks. He told me to post here.
Old 03-18-2012   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Most of the class II water is too shallow to enjoy, but there are a couple of really good III-III+ runs that are still flowing around here.
I take that back. You could go down to the Bighorn Sheep Canyon and run several very pretty class II stretches. Salida to Rincon, Rincon to Valley Bridge and Trading Post to Texas Creek all come to mind. I think I saw on another thread that people have been boating the Deckers (chutes) stretch of the South Fork South Platte (class II with one easy III) as well.

I would be glad to do something on the Ark with you if you're willing to drive down. I have another friend who is on the same level and would love to join as well...

Logan 719-229-9333
Old 03-18-2012   #7

binghamton, New York
Imyers, I'd love to join you and your friend! Let me look at the sections you are talking about and see how far away they are. I have my small rv with me so in theory I could even stay over night. So let me look at logistics and I will call you.
Old 03-18-2012   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Here is a map of the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area with access points and camping, to help orient you to the Upper Arkansas Valley a little:

http://www.americasstateparks.org/pa...Area%20Map.pdf
Old 03-18-2012   #9

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritag
Imyers, I'd love to join you and your friend! Let me look at the sections you are talking about and see how far away they are. I have my small rv with me so in theory I could even stay over night. So let me look at logistics and I will call you.
Logan is an excellent person to show you the river. He very personable and knows the Ark stretches described. Im from Kansas and have boated with him several times and everytime is great.
shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #10

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuffkayak View Post
Logan is an excellent person to show you the river. He very personable and knows the Ark stretches described. Im from Kansas and have boated with him several times and everytime is great.
Logan, did you write this?

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote