Virginia Boating - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2011   #1

Lakewood, 80214
Paddling Since: 2010
Virginia Boating

Hi all. I will be moving to northern virginia later this year. was wondering if anybody here has kayaking experience in the VA or WVA area?

qsjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011   #2

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
You will be surrounded on at least 3 sides by great boating!
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Can you be more specific with what kind of rivers you're looking to paddle? I'm from northern Virginia and there is lots of paddling nearby. The Potomac runs year round and offers really great creeking through Great Falls, and fun play and read and run through the sections downstream. Also lots of little shitty water quality micro creeks in northern Virginia proper. Within 2.5 hours you've got the Yough drainage which contains tons of creeks and rivers. Within 4 hours you've got the Cheat and Blackwater drainages which also contain lots of classic creeks and rivers. Within 5 hours you've got everything in central WV and the Fayettesville area...so there's definitely plenty of kayaking opportunities to be had.
BEArmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011   #4

Lakewood, 80214
armstrwe, looking for river running up to III+. not advanced enough for creeking and haven't done much play-boating. thanks for the info already giving. i have heard of the potomac. also have heard about the james river. know anything about that drainage? i also remember going on a guided raft tour somewhere in the SC/GA region.
Old 08-16-2011   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
You should have plenty of options nearby. Balcony Falls on the James is just east of downtown Richmond and is a great 3+, and Mather's Gorge and Little Falls of the Potomac are also in that range. You should also check out the Shenandoah and Potomac through Harper's Ferry. Have fun.
BEArmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #6

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
Balcony Falls on the James is far west of Richmond, near Roanoke. However, there is an easy I-II section just west of Richmond, and a bit more challenging III-IV section which runs right through the city. Running them together makes for a beautiful change of scenery, from forested land on both sides to a very urban landscape. Check the AW site for information. Have fun.
jr2hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #7

Lakewood, 80214
thanks for the info guys, ..we need a kick ass website like mbuzz for all the nation
Old 08-18-2011   #8

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I moved from Colorado to Va. Live outside Roanoke now. PM me if you want to get out.
Thanks,
Jon
bryantjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #9

Falls Church, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree with the above comments the James, little falls on the Potomac, and Shenandoah/Potomac in harpers ferry are all pretty good class III runs but also recommend the Rappahannock in Fredericksburg and the lower yough which is about 3 hours from Northern VA but is a great III+ river that runs year round. Also there are 3 good forums you should check out if you are looking for people to boat with:
Paddle Prattle Paddle Prattle is the main forum in the DC area
Coastal Canoeists www.coastals.org main forum for Richmond/central VA area, really nice club
Boatertalk BoaterTalk: BoaterTalk the mountain buzz equivalent of the east coast

I live in Northern VA so if you have any other questions just let me know!
Shannon.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #10

Bryson City, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsjones View Post
armstrwe, looking for river running up to III+. not advanced enough for creeking and haven't done much play-boating. thanks for the info already giving. i have heard of the potomac. also have heard about the james river. know anything about that drainage? i also remember going on a guided raft tour somewhere in the SC/GA region.
Sounds like you may be referring to the Chattooga River on the SC/GA border. Great whitewater (better runs in the spring rainy season of course). Sections 1-3 are class I-III mostly (with 1 tough IV - Bull Sluice - at the end that you can walk). Section 4 is a lot tougher/exciting if that's what you're looking for. A long drive from Roanoke, but if you're ever in the area, a beautiful "Wild & Scenic" river to check out in a kayak.