Vinyl patch on Hypalon? - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-14-2013   #1
 
missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17
Vinyl patch on Hypalon?

I'm not a materials specialist, so I may be asking a dumb question here.
I know that PVC and Hypalon are different beasts, and that different materials are necessary to bond patches.

What I don't know, is if a patch listed as "vinyl" is PVC, or something different... and if it can be used to patch a hypalon boat. I only ask because I can get a bunch of vinyl on the cheap.

For the record, this is a POS Momentum with a dozen patches already. So if I get a season or two out of the patch I'll consider it a success. But if I get a single run or a ruined tube in 5 seconds, I won't.

Thoughts? Thanks!

punqroqclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-14-2013   #2
 
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by punqroqclimber View Post
I'm not a materials specialist, so I may be asking a dumb question here.
I know that PVC and Hypalon are different beasts, and that different materials are necessary to bond patches.

What I don't know, is if a patch listed as "vinyl" is PVC, or something different... and if it can be used to patch a hypalon boat. I only ask because I can get a bunch of vinyl on the cheap.

For the record, this is a POS Momentum with a dozen patches already. So if I get a season or two out of the patch I'll consider it a success. But if I get a single run or a ruined tube in 5 seconds, I won't.

Thoughts? Thanks!
No! seek a shop with the correct,glue,solvent & patch material.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #3
 
missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbay View Post
No! seek a shop with the correct,glue,solvent & patch material.
That, sir, is as clear as crystal; thank you.

Just curious... what sort of ruinous catastrophe would precipitate from such a misstep?
punqroqclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-14-2013   #4
 
Avatard's Avatar
 
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by punqroqclimber View Post

That, sir, is as clear as crystal; thank you.

Just curious... what sort of ruinous catastrophe would precipitate from such a misstep?
It just won't stick. Probably worse trying to adhere hypalon patch on PVC boat than vice versa. The hypalon glue is at least contact adhesive
__________________
________________________________________
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Patch Material Larry-G Kayaking | Gear Talk 5 05-13-2012 01:26 PM
Patch / D-ring removal? malloypc Kayaking | Gear Talk 5 01-23-2012 06:32 AM
How do you store your patch kit? Stiff N' Wett Kayaking | Gear Talk 15 10-03-2010 08:28 PM
patch kit contents stribtw Kayaking | Gear Talk 22 05-15-2010 12:39 AM
Patch work? boatmusher Whitewater Kayaking 2 12-04-2008 12:14 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.