Veracruz Boating, need some info - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-01-2006   #1

Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
Veracruz Boating, need some info

1. where could I rent boats when i get down there? Assuming we can't get them on the plane.
2. what sections of what rivers is the best class IV-V+?
3. How long is the drive from Veracruz area to Santa Maria area? We have a rental car. Basically, is is worth it? We really want to paddle the salto, micos, but really want some gnarly big drops too.
4. Where would we spend most of our time, Veracruz or Santa Maria area, if we wanted some steep goods?
-Looks like we will have ten days Nov 16 thru nov 27.

Thanks for any info no matter what it is, Johnny

floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006   #2

I dont know where to rent boats but you need to get the gringos guide if you dont have it. Read about the runs they list. Then in veracruz we hit the runs around tlapacoyan and jalcomulco. The Rio Alseseca is a great run by tlapacoyan it has different sections from IV+-V- with lots of waterfalls and slides 10-30 feet, and it has sections of hair with V-V+ drops with tight continuous box gorges and waterfalls up to 80 feet. Also in that area is the Upper Rio Filos which is a longer iv+V- river run. email jorge at [email protected] he is a class V boater who just lives to run the shit. If you can't reach him through email he lives at the takeout of the filo bobos run which is a class 3 play run.

Jalcomulco is a great place for a play boat. Check the barranca Grande section for occaisional class V.

From Tlapacoyan to the valles area is a longer drive than it looks. We have driven all the way to costa and the roads between valles and veracruz were the consensous worst roads we saw, but in our bus it took us a day and a half. With a half decent rental car you could make it in one day, and probably be able to make a quick run down micos if you left early enough. It would suck to have to spend an entire day driving. All the runs in the area are accesable from valles within the day. Talk to anna at huasteca adventures for shuttle help. Micos has no consequences and can be boring, but they are still big drops. Salto is more of the same but a few consequences, but on the whole only class iv. Didn't see santa maria, but the pictures look cool. Hope that helps.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #3

Brian,
Out of curiousity,what is so bad about the road,topes?I havn't gone north of Papantla it did take a while.If it takes that long then Agua Azul is just as close apx 9 hours on a night bus faster by car{from city of Veracruz} plenty of falls plop n drop to hairball.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006   #4

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
topes. fucking topes everywhere. unmarked topes, small topes, big topes, multiple topes. mexico doesn't believe in traffic cops or lights and so most local towns take it upon themselves to install topes.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #5

Thanks for the info. Keep on truckin' south. Wish we all could go. I guess we will go just far enough south, get ourselves scared, and then run back to safe little CO.
Safe journey, johnny
Old 11-06-2006   #6

Also, Just wondering if anyone has been down the Rio Verde. Epic, it sounds like?
We want to hit that if we are in the area of Valles. Sounds like we are going to do some night driving bewteen valles/veracruz area cause everyone is so stoked about all of it. Thanks again, johnny
Old 11-07-2006   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The 1st Canyon Verde from Pinihuan is a pretty cool run if it has water. We hit it at low water a few years ago, and there are a few quality drops in there. Regardless, it's a spectacular canyon, but not epic in the sense of a Black Canyon trip. No heinous portages and poison ivy.

It starts with a 45 footer that Wigston ran (it looked like it would boat better with more water), then into a 100 footer that you can portage on the far left. There are a few 10-20 footers in the canyon, then it peters out to class II - makes you wish there was a little more in there. I know it's been advertised as the "Green Narrows of Mexico", but it's nowhere close to that level of difficulty. We hitchhiked the shuttle no problem. The third Canyon looks interesting, but I hear it requires ropework. You would also have to combine it as an overnight with the Santa Maria, which is very similar to the Upper Taos Box- no waterfalls there, but complex boulder gardens & lots of sieves. Overall, it's IV+ with V consequences. But, you'll have to find another boating party to run the shuttle, because you'll probably destroy your rental. All of the other runs are easy access and not hard to hitch or jog the shuttles.

And by the way, the drive from Veracruz to Valles is about 7-8 hours, although there might be a longer section of express road now. Stop by the ruins at Poza Rica.

If you don't have Robey's book with you, send me a PM and I'll get you some details on finding the runs- Ojo Frio, Salto, Micos, and Verde.

Enjoy....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006   #8

mexico

hey john my name is dan we have spoke a few times about mexico. me and little newman would like to get together with you and see if we can get a trip together for winter brake. we were thinking of meeting some time this week to get plan moving. if you are interested you should call me at 630-567-7104 we were thinking of gettin together on weds night. give me a buzz
Dano the mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Just out of curiosity, why are you flying to Veracruz instead of driving to Valles? A ten day trip is what I usually pull; and you have your own boats. If you haven't bought your tickets, I'd reconsider. I usually can get away with no more than $600 per person including shared gas, camping, and insurance. If you're worried about taking cars across the border, you really shouldn't be. During the week of Thanksgiving you will certainly see other boaters in Valles, which means shuttles.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006   #10

Hey flaco,
Originally, I would have been getting down there about three days bafore and staying a couple of days after everyone of my friends would get there.
Now, i think that we are going to drive to Juarez. Rent a car there, cause no one wants to put that many miles on thier vehicle with mexican gas, and then drive to Valles. We may go down near the alseseca for a couple of days if we have time. Funny how things change yeah?
Thanks for the info, I do have Gringo's and we should all be ok. But, it does help hearing a few things firsthand from you guys.
Dano, I would be glad to meet. I will give a call tonight or tomorrow.
Sick Bro, Juanny