Vallecito wood update - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2013   #1

Durango/BV, Colorado
Vallecito wood update

Last night we used a come along and a saw on the log in trashcan. The log is still there but we cut some lengths off of it and tied it up. For now trashcan is runnable, but I would remain heads up and scout for wood throughout the canyon this year. There is about a 10 to 15 foot section of the log that got away from us and is wedged underwater under the left wall in middle trashcan. It is currently not an issue but it may move with higher water.

The log is still in Fuzzy Bunny, the question is... how bad do you want to run it this year. IMO anything is possible with the right group of people and equip. That log could be gone today if we rallied a group with saws come alongs and ropes.

Summary: Still wood in trashcan but the line is open, still wood in Fuzzy,Portage. Always heads up for new wood in Vallecito.

Kev D

kayakerkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013   #2

The next zone, .
Good work Kev!

I told someone just yesterday that I figured you would be the one to get in there and get it run able again ...
Old 05-13-2013   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks for doing that Kevin. At 1.9 tonight, everything was good to go except for Fuzzy Bunny, but we're used to portaging that anyway. There is one log at the bottom of the eddy (sieve?) in the middle of trashcan that looks like it's ready to move, so be careful with the rising flows.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013   #4

. ., Kairotic
Yea, thanks Kevin.
fullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #5

. ., Kairotic
Give credit where credit is due

Credit needs to be given where credit is due.

A group of us hiked into Vallecito Thursday, May 9 and pulled the log in Trashcan out of the main channel and tied it to the right bank. That group consisted of Joel Cameron, Tom Janey, Cody Beach, Logan, Ian, and me, Shawn Fullmer.

We spent a lot of time and hard work setting up a come along from the cliff above Trash Can, wading into the main channel to tie a sling around the log, and pulling the log up and over rocks onto the right bank.

Joel and Kevin then returned Saturday evening and cut sections off the log, and moved the tie off point of the log to a lower position. The gist of matter is that a lot of people were involved in the effort.

When our group ran Trash Can yesterday, Monday, the log was out of play, and securely tied to the right bank.

If you get on Vallecito in the next few days, have fun and keep your eyes open for wood. It's going to get juicy.
Old 05-14-2013   #6

Skywalker Construction, LLC
A group of us pulled the log out of trash can tonight.
HANSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Thanks to all involved with getting any and all wood out of the way. Pulling wood out of a river in any situation is pretty tricky, but getting it out of Vallecito is really difficult and dangerous to anyone putting themselves at risk in that environment. Having pulled logs out of this creek in other less hairy spots I have to say kudos to everyone gettting a big piece of timber out of Trash Can. That is about as risky a spot as you can imagine to put yourself into on a tag line. Thanks again and glad everyone is safe. MK

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #8
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Agreed, nice work.

As a bit of informtion you should be aware of the wilderness boundary if you are using chainsaw's. In the mid 90's I ended up in federal court for having a chainsaw up there removing wood.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #9

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mut View Post
Agreed, nice work.

As a bit of informtion you should be aware of the wilderness boundary if you are using chainsaw's. In the mid 90's I ended up in federal court for having a chainsaw up there removing wood.
Mut you were always the rebel !!

Thanks to all that went in and got it done - I was not there and dont know who did what - just commenting from afar. Good to see that there are more than just a few good men down there in Durango who are willing to take the risk... Thanks to you all for your efforts to keep her boatable for the rest of us!
Old 05-19-2013   #10

. ., Kairotic
A group of us ran Valle today (Brad H., Joel C., Cody B., and me) and all the rapids are clean and wood-free, except of course Fuzzy B.

With cold temps forecast for Sunday night and Monday, it should be fun flows for the next few days before warmer weather turns up the excitement level.