Vail hole is really fun now with the new bladder system. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-30-2008   #1

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Vail hole is really fun now with the new bladder system.

I got into the Vail hole yesterday with Ludden and Kasey and it is awesome. They have a bladder system that works on air to divert water to the hole and also two bladders right at the lip of the hole that allows for subtle changes. Greg (with the Town of Vail) was there making changes as we paddled and had the thing go from greenish to deep and super retentive in about 10 seconds. I was there two weeks ago at lower water and it was fun but now with more flow the set up has loads of options. It is pretty amazing and worth dropping by if you are in the area. I am looking forward to seeing the big dogs in it this year for the Teva Games. They will be going massive this year.
And while there the town put out a comments box for paddlers to leave messages on what can be done to maximize its playability. In other words if the water changes a bunch and the hole would be better at a different setting, drop them a note. Greg checks them several times a week.

hobie

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008   #2

I went there the other day and was surprised how cool it was. It's still a hole, but a much better one. They are leaving the bladders inflated from morning to night every day from what I understand. Gore Creek is a quality run again. The Big Dogs at Teva will definitely be the test Hobie.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #3

Winter Park, Colorado
Is it friendly? Or is someone who is not the best playboater going to get worked?
I have a solid river roll, but don't have much playboating experience (some time spent in Golden). I am also a little bit of a wuss this time of the year with the temp of the water. I would love to play around in Vail (where I can get out and warm up whenever I need to).

So I guess I am asking, can I get in there side surf a little, try flat spins, or am I just going to get in it an windowshaded (I like to tell people I am trying a mcnasty, haha) , or not be able to get in it at all? Is the end service friendly too?
Boat-ERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008   #4

is it friendly

All you have to do is dial up "Friendly" and it's friendly. In general it is a pretty gentle hole but big moves are possible and the eddy service was really good the day I was there.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #5
Intern, get me a Campari.

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Does anybody have a forecast for Gore Creek's water level this coming weekend (June 7th)? I have run it a few times at 500 cfs and it was great. Last time I checked, the level was rising and at 700. Will it keep rising by next weekend and if so, how pushy will it be?
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.
Palirider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #6

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Pali,

This weekend is the Teva mountain games which is a pretty huge event in Vail. There will be a pro rodeo on Saturday which will take up most of the day. While I dont think that they would close the whole to non competitors I think it might be a little taboo for common folk to be messin around. Just my two cents.

The whole is certainly very cool. When I was there I would not call it friendly especially if you are using Golden as a standard. And yes it is cold. I spaced out my runs to keep from getting ice cream head aches.

There you go.

ben
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #7
Intern, get me a Campari.

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Ben-

I'm coming out for Mountain Games. I did the down river sprint event last year as part of the GNC Mountain Challenge. If I recall, the river was actually running low last year, about 450 cfs. Obviously, it didn't seem pushy at all and I felt very comfortable at about 600cfs the year before.

As for the rodeo events, we usually take out at Ford Hole or the covered bridge. I was just curious as to whether or not they are expecting the water to come up much more.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.
Palirider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #8

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Right on man... Good luck!
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #9

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Gore creek / Vail wwp hole...

Took my first spin there on Sunday afternoon and the hole is a little sticky in kayakers center left but, deep enough for loops in the center right. Got my first clean loop there so, I was on cloud 9 (Thanks Stevo!). At yesterdays' flow it would flush you if you roll in the hole so it was pretty friendly. Eddy service was nice. What a great feature to have on our happy little valley.

chris
Old 06-02-2008   #10

Winter Park, Colorado
Thanks for the info. And yes I do just have to tell myself "FRIENDLY!". The mental game takes over a little for me this time of the year.
Boat-ERS is offline   Reply With Quote