Utah river access clarified - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2008   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Utah river access clarified

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9962521

So, I think this is what Colorado needs. It will blow up all of the property owners that are denying access to parties floating over their property. Like hte sporstsman Paradise or private ranch on cottonwood creek

Unfortunately, I see some dramatic draw backs from the lack of clarity on term streambed. Parties will use this as an access to intermittent streams and confrontations will arise. This will be something hunters use to cross private property previously blocking access to public land. Still, this is good for boaters and users of water ways in general in my opinion.

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008   #2

Very cool. Are there any Utah runs that this will affect?
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #3

Park City, Utah
Big deal for creeking if you want first D's of manky water. The bigger issue is fishing. A ton of ranchers prohibit access to their land and then rent it out as private. This will open that up. The LDS church has a massive tracts of land that have incredible fishing. Parties will be working up those up those creek beds for miles into mountain lakes that have huge fish. Two years ago I puled a 26" 8.5# rainbow from one such lake. The boating will be interesting. When you could actually hike up the stream bed, is it running at a level that is boatable. I know I'll be looking at some TOPO's.
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008   #4

Yeah, definitely. For paddling, a lot of it depends on how you interpret what the streambed is. If you are allowed to hike up next to the river or in the shallows as long as you stay within the natural high-water mark, it will most certainly be beneficial.
Old 07-23-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm a whitewater enthusiast and fly fisherman who finds this a really touchy subject: I own frontage on the Florida River. I could care less if boaters need to step out to scout a particular piece of water on my "property." That is safe and prudent, and Colorado law should specify that as an allowable "trespass." There are obviously unreasonable land owners who don't share my view. My BIG problem is anglers. I have a section of water that is an amazingly healthy trout habitat BECAUSE it is private. Public access decimates wild fish populations. Hardware and bait slinging morons hurt and kill fish, the evidence is clear and compelling. Allowing any person, no matter what their fishing "ethics" are to damage or destroy fish habitat on private property is craziness in my view. Boaters do NOTHING to compromise my chunk of river. Fishermen do.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #6

Hmmm, this is interesting. So what would you propose we do about that? (Hypothetical, because this is not a Colorado law)

Limit recreational access to boaters? Anyone but fisherman? Catch and release only? Flies only? I could see allowing access to anyone but not allowing fishing on stretches within private property (but allowing people to hike/paddle the river through to public places where it is legal to fish).

Some of these seem better than others but I don't think I'm happy with any of them.

Thoughts?

COUNT
Old 07-23-2008   #7

Park City, Utah
It is touchy and big $$'s are at stake. I know a membership at one premier fishing resort here starts at $75K. Now, anyone can hike into that same property in the stream bed. In Colorado I was constantly angered by the bait fishermen in quality waters. I've seen guys walking out of the Conejos with full stringers. I understand and sympanthize with your concern. This is a win for boaters. It is a win for public access anglers. It is a loss for private property owners.
Old 07-23-2008   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Last time i heard, bait fishermen kill less fish compared to fly fishermen. and plus we don't stand in the middle of the river scaring them out of there natural habitat
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #9

B.F.E., Wyoming
Although I'm a fly fishing elitist myself, I don't think hardware and bait fisherman do any more harm than a fly...either way your tricking fish to eat something and dragging it in on a winch. Considering I'm from Wyoming I actually believe public water access would help fisheries. In Casper we have the Grey Reef section of the North Platte, where it isn't uncommon to see 70-80 boats in a single area because when the water isn't clear there is only one section of river that fishes well.That area is the only place you can anchor, get out and wade fish...Its also one of the best holes on the river. If Wyoming had the same access as Montana or now Utah. I think the cable hole would have much less pressure and the river in general would be a better fishery...
My .02
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #10

Parker, Colorado
As someone who doesn't fish or understand what motivates fishermen, I'm lost.

You seem ok with people who fish one way but not another? "In Colorado I was constantly angered by the bait fishermen in quality waters." So fishing with flys is cool but using bait is bad? How does using bait cause anger and name calling?

I'll admit I'm really lost here, but this seems like an over specific NIMBY argument.
billcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access