Utah Daily - Run time and camping recommendations? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-01-2009   #1

Utah Daily - Run time and camping recommendations?

Planning to run the Daily as overnight lazy float over Labor Day weekend. Couple questions:
*Any guidance on float time at ~4k?
*Recommendation for camping along the way? Ideally camp site that are not also road access. Or if folks recommend pre scouting camping from road access and then floating to it, that makes sense too? Given Labor Day weekend, do folks think camping will be tough to find?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

ccondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009   #2

cedar city, Utah
Green or Colorado?
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Green or Colorado?
Colorado - Hittle Bottom (or below) down into Moab.

Hittle Bottom to BLM: The "Daily"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009   #4

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Hope your not looking for too much excitement, it is more of a scenic float at 4K.

If you put in at Dewey Bridge and don't want to float to far down the first day, camp at Onion Creek, no road access. You could also put-in above Dewey Bridge for a longer first day.

At Onion Creek, you can play/paddle the rapid (7K there is a little play, 4k?), swim the rapid, if red mud or red silt is around you can tie die shirts, nice sand, great views and there are a couple of hikes up to the bluffs.

Onion Creek has a couple small spots and big one with cottonwood shade from what i remember. We always liked the smaller spot the furthest upstream at the beginning of the rapid. Watch out for scorpions, we had one get in a wet, died shirt overnight.

Have fun!
Old 09-01-2009   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
Hope your not looking for too much excitement, it is more of a scenic float at 4K.

If you put in at Dewey Bridge and don't want to float to far down the first day, camp at Onion Creek, no road access. You could also put-in above Dewey Bridge for a longer first day.

At Onion Creek, you can play/paddle the rapid (7K there is a little play, 4k?), swim the rapid, if red mud or red silt is around you can tie die shirts, nice sand, great views and there are a couple of hikes up to the bluffs.

Onion Creek has a couple small spots and big one with cottonwood shade from what i remember. We always liked the smaller spot the furthest upstream at the beginning of the rapid. Watch out for scorpions, we had one get in a wet, died shirt overnight.

Have fun!
THANKS MAN! Appreciate the advise.
Old 09-01-2009   #6

cedar city, Utah
I don't remember mileages and for some reason don't have them marked on my map....but there are some good campsites on river right. The good ones tend to be closer to Hittle Bottom than Moab. At those flows you may consider a shorter trip and just take out at "Takeout Beach" and save yourself the extra ten plus miles of almost purely flat water. Be careful with river left, most of it tends to be private land until you pass Red Clif's ranch.

Whatever you don't camp too far down the river or you will experience the majesty that is "Canyonlands by Night", aka big, bright canons of light broadcasted onto the river right wall. At least you won't hear the 1960s soundtrack if you are down there.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #7

get there early

I would set up a tent as early as you can and then go float. It will be busy and it would be bummer to not have a place to chill. Onion creek is where it is at for sure. I am not a fan of the tent reservation thing but everyone else does it so you have to play the game. Have a good weekend.
jquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #8

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
We did Cisco to Moab in 4 days and that was WAY to much time. Over nighting shouldn't be a problem as long as the winds are not bad (we had some bad winds). Best sites that we where at and would probably work for you is just down stream of onion creek on river right. Lots of commercials on this stretch and we where collateral damage on a prank one company was playing on another company and ended up with an extra boat tied up to ours at about 2:00 a.m. Also had an unexplained visitor in our camp around 11:00, it reminded me of the importance of having bear spray around even if you are not in bear country...

MR
Old 09-01-2009   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinn View Post
I would set up a tent as early as you can and then go float. It will be busy and it would be bummer to not have a place to chill. Onion creek is where it is at for sure. I am not a fan of the tent reservation thing but everyone else does it so you have to play the game. Have a good weekend.
Assume the pre float morning tent reservation thing would only be on the river left (roadside) sites?...i'm hoping to be opposite roadside, for which it sounds like folks are saying the place to be is at or below Onion Creek on river right. Incedentially, not a big fan of that pre pitching/reserve deal myself, but if it's required on this stretch to prevent getting f'd by everyone else doing the same and having to float all the way down, I'll do it. thanks.
Old 09-01-2009   #10

Edwards, Colorado
Took me 5 hours with no wind to get from Hittle Bottom to Takeout Beach Saturday, rowing constantly second half of trip. Could easily break that short section into an overnight trip using the beach primitive campsites you cannot miss on the right.
JesseW is offline   Reply With Quote