Using a surfboard Bag to carry a kayak - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-18-2006   #1

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Using a surfboard Bag to carry a kayak

Will a normal surfboard bag carry a kayak? Are they think enough? I'm going to Costa Rica this winter and trying to figure out how to carry my boat. Where can I buy one or does anyone have a bag that they want to sell??

Taking a playboat if that makes any difference.

Thanks

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006   #2

Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
check out cks (coloradokayak.com) , they have salamander bags, and i think wave sport makes a play boat specific one.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #3

Golden, Colorado
I got a wheeled wavesport bag that I'm hoping will make it easier to fly. Haven't tried it out yet though. I got it cheap from siera trading post.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Most of the surfboard-specific bags are probably not big enough- too low volume. A "coffin" bag fits 3 boards, and that might fit a boat. But, they're expensive (even used) so ou're better off buying a new boat bag.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #5

I used the wave sport bag and had no problems..
bshack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #6

Golden, Colorado
bshack
What airline did you fly? What did you tell them it was? Did you have to pay extra? Any other tips?
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #7

I flew american. I carried a Wave sport zg....Told them it as a surfboard and my gear and got charged NADA. Then I sold the boat down there after my trip. Feel free to leave your # and I will call you if you have more questions. I had a BLAST and paddled a ton
bshack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #8

Costa Rica Paddling Since: 1987
Send a message via MSN to crcreeker
i recently heard that american are really cracking down on boats, and are not even allowing surfboards on board anymore. my choice would be a boater friendly airline, if there's such a thing...

airlines to avoid: american, delta, continental. i've heard about people flying united and having no problems. any recent experiences?

why has it become such a pain in the nuts to fly a kayak? it does have the look of a conspiracy if you think about it...

last time i flew i had my boat all wrapped up, and told them it was a surfboard. the truth came out, though, and after much begging, i got reamed $150. at the end it comes down to the mood the person at the counter is in at the moment. (airline was taca, bound for bolivia.)

my opinion: put it in a bag, and check it as an oversize piece of luggage, don't even mention the contents. and be ready to dish out some cash if necessary. don't argue about the price, as long as it's remotely reasonable...

good luck
crcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #9

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
us airways / america west - in their sports equ, under baggaged allowed -- kayaks 80$ flat fee. Its the only airline I've seen show that. But if you get tickets through them and you see an acting airline called mesa that works with usair, they wont take boats. only america west or usair. With that, I'm thinking no bag, just put all my gear inside and get it wrapped, then sell when I'm there.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #10
ZWP

I flew my creek boat to Gauley Fest last year on Frontier and paid $50 extra. I didn't wrap or pad it - the airlines can't treat it any worse then me! Frontier took at the curbside and it was the easiest thing ever.
ZWP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag, kayaking