Used Nrs Bighorn II vs New Rowframes.com - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2012   #1

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Used Nrs Bighorn II vs New Rowframes.com

I have the option to buy a used Bighorn II frame with seat and oarlocks with a boat I'm buying for $550. I've emailed Gary at rowframes.com and it sounds like he could build be a similar frame for less money.

I'm not sure if Gary's aluminum is anodized does anyone know?

Also I don't know much about his fittings can anyone compare NRS's fittings with rowframes?

Would I be able to buy future add-ons easily if I went with rowframes? Are they interchangeable with NRS equipment?

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7
I have the option to buy a used Bighorn II frame with seat and oarlocks with a boat I'm buying for $550. I've emailed Gary at rowframes.com and it sounds like he could build be a similar frame for less money.

I'm not sure if Gary's aluminum is anodized does anyone know?

Also I don't know much about his fittings can anyone compare NRS's fittings with rowframes?

Would I be able to buy future add-ons easily if I went with rowframes? Are they interchangeable with NRS equipment?
They should be able to make it out of the same pipe diam and the fittings come in the standard sizes so if you spec the nrs standard widths you can use the slideable seatbar, footbar, and drop supports

Not sure if gary does it if he uses the larger pipe...

Another consideration should be the temper. 6061 -t6 is less likely to bend and the walls wont bend from the setscrew. Any bends require the -t3 so not as strong and more flex

I've also noticed some cracking in one of my hollander fittings. The nrs fittings can sometimes become sloppy in the pipe after a few years