Upstream paddling and hull design... - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-12-2011   #1

Canton, Georgia
Upstream paddling and hull design...

Is there a big difference between hull designs when it comes to upstream paddling? I have always done it in a 12' touring boat but I have recently started doing whitewater and have a Diesel 80.

Today I was on a river and was making my way upstream. I came to a Class II section and the only way up was through the chute. I tried a few times but couldn't get past the lip of the chute! I would get so close but eventually would just stay stationary. I tried everything including brute force paddling... I'd just stay in the same spot. Sometimes I'd catch an edge and it would ruin it as well... Which got me thinking: is a displacement hull better for upstream paddling?

Just about as soon as I asked myself this, a paddler in a Riot Magnum came paddling by me. He gathered up a bit of speed in the eddy and shot through, no problem. I tried again, doing the same thing... Couldn't get past that lip again.

10 minutes after that attempt, and older gentleman in a really old Perception Dancer comes up. He shoots through, no problem. I'm young and in very good shape and have pretty decent paddling skills. I've been doing upstream paddling for a little over a year for exercise, just never in a planning hull.

Considering the other two people were in displacement hull boats, I was curious if this was beneficial for punching through some upstream currents. I was thinking of renting a Remix to test my theory since trying in my 12' touring boat isn't a fair comparison... However, does anyone here have any comments on this?

intargc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011   #2
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
You're going the wrong way.

There are some big differences in hull speed from boat to boat. The diesel is a good mix of speed & maneuverability, but not the fastest boat on the water.

Where were you paddling that there were this many people going the wrong way???
Old 06-12-2011   #3

Canton, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwindpowderrock View Post
You're going the wrong way.

There are some big differences in hull speed from boat to boat. The diesel is a good mix of speed & maneuverability, but not the fastest boat on the water.

Where were you paddling that there were this many people going the wrong way???
It's great exercise going the wrong way!
intargc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011   #4

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Hull speed = 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length.
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote