Upstream Lee's ferry to Page ?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2010   #1

Leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Upstream Lee's ferry to Page ??

Looking for info regarding paddling upstream from Lee's Ferry to Page on the Colorado river. Any Buzzards have any experience with this? What kind of boat did you have? How tough was it? Thanks for any help!

Tkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010   #2

Professional Transient, See above.
I've watched a bunch of ppl launch for it (while I was rigging to go the other way). Most ppl were in things like duckies loaded with beer and fishing gear. All paid commercial jet/power boats to take them upstream, then would take several days to float and meander back down to Lee's.

The current on the Grand is typically between 4 and 5mph, so pretty quick. I would think the current upstreams of Lee's Ferry would be in the same ballpark making paddling upstream difficult.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #3

I agree, it may be flat water but is a heavy current. Get shuttled up if you want to flat down and stay in the campgrounds and fish. I've gone up in there with a bass boat to fly fish and don't remember it being too fast a ride against the current with a motor. The jet boats the outfitters use can cruise pretty good though.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010   #4

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
lees ferry research

I've been wanting to get down there and fish, and have done some research. The access is by motor powered boat, or down one trail which is not marked and may require rope. If you were brininging down rubber, it certainly would require rope. There is a group out of page that does scenic tours that will pull you up to the dam for a fee at the end of each day. They have a charge per person and per boat. . The water is flat, and slow. The CFS is big, and tey are trying to keep it very steady in recent years withthe exception of well forcasted dumps to try to release sediment. Fishing is off of sand bars with nymphs and sight casting of micro midges. There is camping first come first serve at some sites. you can hike up to the first few sand bars, but the feedback is that the best bars are taken by guides early in the morning, driving upstream with headlights at peak spawns.

hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2010   #5

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Are you more interested in fishing? Scenery is a given. But isn't Diamond down a better option??
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #6

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkoch View Post
Looking for info regarding paddling upstream from Lee's Ferry to Page on the Colorado river. Any Buzzards have any experience with this? What kind of boat did you have? How tough was it? Thanks for any help!
I had time before a GC trip so I had a power boat tow my raft upstream from the Ferry and then I floated back down. It was beautiful! I don't think it can be paddled upstream, even by eddy hopping. If you can't paddle it, give a guy a few bucks to take you. He's heading up that way anyway.

David
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #7

Leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Thanks for the Upstream from Lee's advice

Thanks for the words of advice everyone, appreciate it as always. I am travelling from our home in Leadville to Tuscon area with my wife and three boys at the end of March and we have three or four days to play along the way and I've always admired that section of canyon. If it was just me and my canoe I think I'd go for it, I like upstream work but with the five of us and camping gear for a couple of nights I think I'll investigate one of the oufitters for a upstream ride or go explore comb ridge or another section of S. Utah canyon can't go wrong on that part of the planet! If I get down there I'll post a report.
Tkoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upstream lee's ferry