upper rio grande info - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-11-2008   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
upper rio grande info

alright, SOMEBODY has to know whats up.....

whats the status of the Rio Grande ABOVE its namesake reservoir? Google Earth has some fantastic views into that stretch and it looks reallllly good, how come no one has been in there? and if you have, why are you holding out? it looks to be about 6 and a half miles long, two gorges, volcanics all the way with a park in between them. the 2nd canyon looks to have the action, first one looks flatter with some continuous action at the bottom. "roadside" as the road is a fair ways above on the hill. major unportageable rapids? big falls? gradient doesnt show it, theres two sketchy areas, a) entrance to 2nd canyon and b) midway through 2nd canyon, its all white. somebody's had to have been in there! if nothing else ill head down there next summer and give it a go, it looks fun!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008   #2
God Amongst Men

looking upstream, entrance to 2nd canyon

looking downstream, 2nd canyon

looking downstream, 2nd canyon

looking upstream, bottom of 2nd canyon
Old 01-12-2008   #3

Looked at it yaers ago

A few of us looked at that stretch years ago and at the time there was Sooooooo much lumber but sections are very runnable and there would be some action!!! Difficult timing with lots of snow so it may be a fall run if there is enough rain???? I would love to film it and of course paddle it but the footage would be wow!!! As far as I know it has never been run...????
Cheers JB
keel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008   #4
God Amongst Men

Wow, an almost 7 mile long, possibly un run class IV (?) canyon. hard to believe in colorado! As soon as the road opens next summer Im down there, camera and boat in hand, anybody else want to come then lets do it!
Old 01-12-2008   #5

oh yeah
where in colorado are we? south central; south of pagosa?
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008   #6
God Amongst Men

its in Southwest, CO. Go west from Creede and find Rio Grande Reservoir. Keep going upstream until you come to the canyon!

Just did some simple calculations, this sucker has an overall gradient of ~160 fpm, and most of that seems to be in the 2nd canyon, which i think is going to be the gem of the two. I cant wait to get down there and look at this thing.

And if you have done this before and are just sitting there not contributing any info, then shame on you!
Old 01-13-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Ah, satellite reconnaissance at its finest. My couch scouting mission makes me wonder whats in those canyons too. The gauge at the bottom of rio grande res peaks around 1000cfs on average. Lots of different inflow to the res though. The run considered carries probably about 1/3 of the drainage area, so maybe 300cfs at peak in there? Up to 500? in a big snow year? Thats pretty decent flow in a 160fpm section. Seeing lots of flatter meanders means the steeper sections are probably 200+fpm. Sounds worth checking out! The wood response sounds like lots of walking or cleaning though. Let us know what you find out.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote