Upper NF Poudre - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-13-2013   #1

the fort, Colorado
Upper NF Poudre

It's gettin to be bout that time. Anyone scoped out the flow yet? I imagine it's startin to fill up and the road to Halligan reservoir should be open. Anyone interested in getting a posse together this weekend to check it out?
-heath

prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013   #2

Ft Collins, Colorado
The road to Halligan almost never opens until the end of the month. You can ring the Middle Cherokee Park Colorado Parks and Wildlife person to find out whether the gate is open.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #3

Unless it's flooding that run isn't worth it.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013   #4

Ft Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
That's a matter of opinion. It's a beautiful area with great views (and you have time to enjoy the view ...), it's got a couple fun drops, and it's close to home for those of us in the Fort. I've probably done the run a dozen times and will do it again if there's water. It doesn't really get more difficult at high water, but it does get more fun with a lot fewer FY rocks. I'll grant you it's pretty scrappy at low water, and that's mostly what we've had for the past decade. It's not a run for someone intent on a Bailey-like experience.
Old 05-13-2013   #5

Front Range, Colorado
How Much H2O?

What is the minimum flow needed for Class III section?
iSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
JOHNG / PROZONED,

I'd be interested in running this with you guys this weekend. Ran the S.F Poudre a couple times over the last few years but have never got on the N.F.

ELF'n is fine for me for my first run, it's not a problem.

I'm Lenny from Fort Collins, text/call me

Thanks.
GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #7

the fort, Colorado
Might need to give it another week or two if the roads not open you gotta haul your boat out a couple miles mostly uphill. Really isnt enjoyable after paddlin bout 14 miles of river. And you do need around at least 700cfs or more for it to be fun
Old 05-15-2013   #8

Ft Collins, Colorado
Roger the need for the gate to be open. I'm thinking it's shorter than 14 miles. If you push a bit and don't scout you can do it in 2 or 2.5 hours.

iSki - are you talking about the lower run, into Seaman Res? I think that run is a cl 3 in the books, but there are more barbed wire fences than rapids. Maybe it's a 3-. Kind of scenic, but for me the kind of run you do only once. Don't know what the min flow would be - you could probably get by with 250 or so. I think the upper run is mostly cl 3 or 3+, with a couple harder drops.
Old 05-15-2013   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
True statement.

Better to run laps on middle/lower narrows.
Old 05-21-2013   #10

the fort, Colorado
I'm pretty sure gate is open, anyone down to try and hit it this weekend? A lil wildernessank run sounds more appealing to me than the crowds up the canyon this weekend! Gimme a call if you're inteinterested. 970 five eight one 5870 - heath