Upper/Lower Rustic Rapid info? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Upper/Lower Rustic Rapid info?

I'm floating the upper and lower Rustic this Sunday on my 14' paddle raft. I was wondering if anyone had info on the rapids or any dangers to be aware of, or where i may find a run description. Eddyflower has a pretty vague description of this part of the river.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Aaron

Airaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Death by Dismemberment and Hole 99 are the ones you need to worry about. D by D is distinguished by the old ass bridge that forms the rapid. You'll come around a corner and see a super skinny bridge (big constriction) and a horizon line. This is D by D. They call it that because of the rock jutting out of the river left wall. It will typewriter you left toward that rock so set up with a river right angle and be ready for it to pull left.

Hole 99 is big, but you have time to set up for it. Can't think of a landmark to point out. Anyone else know a landmark for 99?
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #3

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
97.6MM is D by D. Have good left to right momentum. People in front will likely want to duck.
99 hole is at MM99. Hike over,and down,from the road to scout. The water above it has well placed fucker rocks. I know its comin b/c the river goes right and the hwy is is slightly higher(than in most spots) above the river. Best I can describe....

Scout White Mile on upper rustic if you're goin that high.
There's other random stuff to be on the lookout for.

Sometimes you just gotta go see it yourself....
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010   #4

I think your biggest problem as the flow drops below 4ft is going to be nagivating around the rocks. White mile is the most continuous gradient and causes most flips in my experience. DBD can be a pain in the ass, just get the rightward momentum.

The rustics are really a nice run in a raft, but you really need 4ft or more in my opinion. On upper rustic, when the river splits, follow the channel with the most current.

One nice thing about lower flows is you can probably make it under the bridge.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #5

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
4ft=fun
3.5ft=my minimum(oars)
3ft=bare minimum

Don't be deterred,hit it.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #6

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Death by Dismemberment and Hole 99 are the ones you need to worry about. D by D is distinguished by the old ass bridge that forms the rapid. You'll come around a corner and see a super skinny bridge (big constriction) and a horizon line. This is D by D. They call it that because of the rock jutting out of the river left wall. It will typewriter you left toward that rock so set up with a river right angle and be ready for it to pull left.
Is there a snowball's chance of doing this in an oar setup (especially at current flows of about 3 ft)? I've seen this one from the road before, and it's the one thing that has kept me from trying the Poudre. It's so narrow in there, seems like getting any left to right moentum with oars would be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post
4ft=fun
3.5ft=my minimum(oars)
3ft=bare minimum
Looks like it's at that bare minimum level, so I'd like to try it. If D by D isn't runable, I could always line the boat through if I have to. Better that than living up to it's name! LOL
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote