Upper Gunny - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Upper Gunny

Anyone ever floated Upper Gunnison, Almont to North Bridge? Taking my Dad fishing there in August and seeing if it would be a nice laid back float?

tballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008   #2

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
yes, laid back float/fish trip
Old 06-16-2008   #3

Denver, Colorado
Thanks Oarbender. Also see my thread on newbie. I am probably going to start at Rancho Del Rio to catamount for some practice this summer and hopefully do the upper gunnison. Hope this is a good place to learn, but from everyone i have talked it is indeed. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008   #4

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
if there is any place to learn oars, and basic river reading, that strech would be text book. enjoy.
Old 06-16-2008   #5

Nice mellow stretch. BUT..... There are a few islands that will have strainers on them and the "Lost Canyon Bridge" is a diffcult manuver. You have to float in missing the upper right pylon then row back and right to avoid the lower left pylon. Easy if you know its comming but many get in trouble there.

Not good for a beginner to try.
onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Thanks one baked potato, are you referring to the section from state bridge to catamount? I have never heard of this so thanks for the heads up. I am looking for something mellow to learn on so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know! Class II all around, but good fishing.

Ted
Old 06-16-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
p.s.-i got a maravia spyder 13'. I heard of these bridges, but i will be going when runoff clears and the flows are safer. Do you still think this is a issue? Also do you know where these strainers are. I have the Colorado float map, but nothing shows of this. thanks again for your help. I appreicate it.

Ted
Old 06-16-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
I see where twin bridges is located, but no idea where lost canyon bridge is?
Old 06-16-2008   #9
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
the upper gunny is a super popular fishing float, so that should give you an idea of how easy it is.

a few check dams exist in the upper part, between almont and lost canyon, but none of them are riverwide.

lost canyon is three or so miles below almont, i personally dont know what all the fuss is about, you can see it forever coming up to it, and to mess up you would have to try really hard at it.

from lost canyon to north bridge (garlic mikes...like 3 mi north of gunnison) is almost all fast moving but featureless class II. keep er pointed straight and watch out for rocks. as with the rest of the rivers in the state this spring, watch for new log jams on the side of river, but they wont be in the river.

lots of fun waves and holes randomly scattered. good time, especially for someone whos never ever been in a boat.
Old 06-16-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
thanks man, i appreciate it. I think there was some confusion of the lost canyon obstacle. I was unsure if they where talking about the Upper Colorado or Upper Gunnison. Thanks for the clarification. I plan on floating the upper colorado few times before i try anything else. See you on the water