Upper Gore Creek and Vail Whitewater Park - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-18-2019   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Upper Gore Creek and Vail Whitewater Park

Can anybody tell me about Upper Gore Creek and the Vail Whitewater Park? Are there any issues? Do you think Saturday would be good for them? Anything else I should know? I am a solid class III kayaker, but I don't like to hit anything above that or that is pushing it (e.g. The Edwards Mile). I was surprised to see that the Vail Whitewater Park is rated as III+. Do you know why?

surlygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
At this flow East Vail to the whitewater park is II+/III-. There are a bunch of little ledges, but nothing sticky. It's pretty. The whitewater picks up a notch below the park and would qualify as III+/IV- at current levels. Access sucks. Last time we tried finding parking we got ran off by Vail police. They said we would need to pay to park at Lion's Head and walk down to the river....
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019   #3

Commercial Paleontology
Gore Creek

We commonly just put in at East Vail to extend the run & use it as a warm up for the next section past the play park...Generally there is parking but I do think there is still some construction at that parking lot which may present an issue. As a solid class III boater...past the play park will be a step up for sure & I would recommend doing it with more than one partner. Great run though! Be aware of two pipes that cross the river & the first one is a mandatory portage at this level.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Thank You!

Thank you to both of you! That information is very helpful.

Dave
surlygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019   #5

Colorado, Colorado
Gore creek from East Vail to Vail Village is at the bottom now, may not even be boatable or if so very boring at low flows. WW park is basically 1 wave at the international bridge. Gore creek from Vail Village or Lionshead down to confluence with Eagle is still in, although there is 1 or 2 class IV's on that section as well as a river wide metal pipe that must be portaged as at this flow there is no way over or under it.
AzPackrafter is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark