Upper Colorado River info - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-29-2011   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Upper Colorado River info

All,
You probably noticed changes in releases from Granby Dam to the Colorado River today, April 29. Northern Water adjusted the releases from the dam so that about 450 cfs is now flowing into the Colorado River.

We are continuing to balance inflow with storage as we adjust our forecasting in anticipation of this year's spring run-off season. With that in mind, Willow Creek Reservoir has been drained to make room for coming snow melt run-off.

We will be in Granby on Wednesday, May 4 for the River District's annual State of the River meeting to share our spring run off forecast information.

Meanwhile, both we and Northern Water continue to keep information available and accessible on-line. Follow Northern's blog at Northern Water. Reclamation has snow pack and reservoir storage information as well as a general update at Reclamation: GP Area Offices.

As always, please feel free to contact me for any additional information.

Best,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011   #2
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Kara, I'm hoping you can answer my questions about the
USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 09058000 COLORADO RIVER NEAR KREMMLING, CO

-Is this gage outdated technology?

-Is the gage that is currently producing these statistics currently located at the mouth of Gore canyon?

-How accurate is this gage?

-Are there variables that make the gage less accurate while flows are rising or falling?

-Does this gage have a record of errors or misreadings?
Old 05-02-2011   #3

Loveland, Colorado
gage

Hi Brian,
I asked the USGS the best way to get those questions addressed and they suggested accessing this website and submitting gage questions there. From this page, they route the question to whomever can answer it best:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/feedback/?to=Colorado%20Water%20Data%20Inquiries&site_distr ict_abbrev=co

Hope that helps--
--Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Bank View Post
-Is the gage that is currently producing these statistics currently located at the mouth of Gore canyon?
Here's a link to the station's lat/long on google maps, taken from the stations information page. No its not that close to the canyon mouth. I assume the lat/long is accurate though you definitely can't see the gauge from space.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #5
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Thanks...

I apologize for asking these questions in the wrong place...The picture of the gage is the old gage at the change/putin rock at Gore...I was wondering if that was still where the current readings were being produced...my other questions are a reflection of my confusion...We're headed there now, we will see if it looks like 2500cfs today...
Old 05-02-2011   #6

Loveland, Colorado
Brian--
No worries. I think yours are good questions. I'm just sorry I don't know enough about the gage program to answer them. Hopefully between other posters here and the USGS you'll get answers to those questions.

And, if you don't mind sharing the answers, I think quite a few folks would find it helpful.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation

Tags
colorado river