Upper Colorado River anyone? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-06-2008   #1

Upper Colorado River anyone?

I am in CO for a few days messing around along the CO river and wanted to see if there was anyone who would be interested in paddling from Pumphouse to State Bridge or Dotsero. I'm not familiar with the river up here and it would be nice to go with someone. My only boat is a 17' sea kayak but it floats and the river through that section looks like it is mostly mellow. I am doing some docu filming so best if you are not camera shy....

Cheers
Ben

lunastudios25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
upper colorado

Ben,don't think I can make it,but be a little cautious.I guide up there,and have seen plenty of carnage at the current flows.Make sure your camera stuff is waterproof.Sea kayaks and touring kayaks have been flipping,and swimming alot lately.Just a little heads up,and have a safe time!
TELEYAKCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #3

Thanks tele!

Anyone else have any advice? Is this something I could do in a day or will it be an overnighter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008   #4

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I like to do pump to state in two days. You can do it in one but i like to drink my beer and take it easy.
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #5

Stout, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
When did you want to go?
friscofreeskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #6

Upper C

You can definitely do it in 1 day if you want. I boat from Rancho Del Rio to State Bridge in about 2 hours max. That is with playing in a few of the rapids a couple of times. The water is a little high for a sea kayak and I think it might continue to go up a little bit before it goes back down. If you are seriously still interested, Alpine Quest Sports rents out some great equipment. When are you thinking about going? I am very familiar with the run from Rancho Del Rio to State Bridge, but haven't been any further up river. I am definitely interested though!!
jakenewhouse005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #7

I can go pretty much any time. I am in the area for another week or so, waiting until a check cashes so that I can afford gas to head back home. Right now I am living out of an RV (more like a remodeled ice cream truck) and I don't have steady access to the internet or cell service. I am planning on camping at a campground/boat launch down river from El Rio for the next few days so come find me there or email your phone number and I can call the next time I get back to civilization. If you do try to find me, look for the big white van that looks like an ice cream truck. It has a "78" sticker on the front and a green 17' Dagger on top...

Cheers,
ben
Old 07-08-2008   #8

Running the Upper C

I can usually go just about any night of the week. I go up there Thursday nights with the paddle club with Alpine Quest Sports. I am up for tonight if you want to go. The water is running pretty high right now which can make it fun. my phone number is 970-331-1189. I will be around. Hope to hear from you soon.

Jake Newhouse
jakenewhouse005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado river