Upper Colorado at this level - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-24-2014   #1

Keystone, Colorado
Upper Colorado at this level

I 'm going with a few rafters tomorrow and Thursday to do Pumphouse to Rio. But the rafters just informed me that two new kayakers, who have never done a whitewater run, are going with he and his friends.

So my question is, what are the rapids like? And is the flow pretty swift? I just know these guys have alllll brand new gear/ boats. And I told them this is my first time on the water this year so I may be rusty. I just worry about chasing boats all day. :/

Thanks

Soupedupvinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014   #2

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
There's rapids on the upper c?
harper80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #3

Search function. I think there are more threads every year asking about what the upper C is like at various flows than any other section/river.
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014   #4

Denver, Colorado
Several times, people have requested making a "sticky" about Upper Colorado flows. Many of you say to do a search, but I have to say, I've been doing quite a few searches over the last few days....and more of what I find than anything are people asking "What is it like at this flow?"...and NOT actually saying what the flow is. I've been taking cut-and-paste notes of my own as I come across threads, but, for instance, no search with the words "Upper Colorado" and 2000 seems to show me what the flow is like at 2000 cfs. Would be great if we had one thread that had general landmarks of what happens at several different water levels. Or at the very least, as people are asking questions or responding they mention what water level it "currently" is. (Then again, you have to know to search for 473 cfs, rather than generic rounding, it appears.)

Thank you to all who have already provided answers for us to search through, but occasionally there's a reason some of us can't exactly find the answers, even with some research. And if I've missed a thread that is exactly this, by all means, point it out to uneducated folks like myself!
cue2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014   #5
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
#yawn #meow #rafters #growapair

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014   #6

Sounds like you're the guy to create that informational thread and compile notes. Do it!
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014   #7
Tim Kennedy

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Before the internet...

I don't mean to be rude…

But, before the internet, most of us river runners (rafters, kayakers, and canoeists) used to run rivers without having detailed info on where to run each rapid at varying flows.

I don't want to feel or be made to think that I am that old. But, really…? Common river running sense should prevail here. Read and run what you can from the boat. If you can't read the upcoming rapid from your boat, get out and scout from shore. It's that simple. I would encourage the kayakers to do so, as well. It'll help to make you and them better river runners in the long run. And besides, exploring new runs with limited info is one of the never-ending joys of running rivers, whether it be a class II run or a class V run.

"…is the flow pretty swift": It is running two thousand and seven hundred cubic feet per second at the gauge at the top of Gore Canyon (about 6 or 7 miles upstream of Pumphouse). The average gradient on Pumphouse to State Bridge is seventeen feet per mile. I would call that the low side of medium for that section. I doubt that at that flow and gradient that anything is gonna sneak up on you.

*Actually, after reading my above comments, I may have come of as rude. The general character of the run is class II with two class III rapids: the first one is called Eye of the Needle. Go left or right. It is between Pumphouse and Radium. The second class III-ish rapid is after Radium. It is called Yarmony. I think you can go left. If your kayakers have never run whitewater before and don't know how to roll, they might swim in one of these two rapids… or they might swim on any eddy-line or other wave/hole feature on the run. But, at 2700 cfs, picking up the pieces shouldn't be to difficult.
Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014   #8

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2go View Post
Thank you to all who have already provided answers for us to search through, but occasionally there's a reason some of us can't exactly find the answers, even with some research. And if I've missed a thread that is exactly this, by all means, point it out to uneducated folks like myself!
Give up now you've failed miserably at boating, and apparently how to use resources for research.
For future reference the info in the above post is true from 250 to 9000.
Old 07-19-2014   #9

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Tim Kennedy,it's needles eye,so keep spoutin' the wrong names of the rapids.
TELEYAKCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014   #10

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
^ Seriously?

They mean the same friggin' thing.