Upper Colorado. - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-24-2013   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Upper Colorado.

New to the area. I made a post a few days ago and got directed to the upper Colorado and it looks like it might be a good option. I am confused however because I am finding some section show no camping and I am not 100% about what areas allow camping and what do not. Is camping allowed between State Bridge and Catamount?

Any recommendations on a map to get that shows all the public access/camp spots in detail?

Thanks.

T1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013   #2

Edwards, Colorado
BLM Colorado | Colorado River Valley Field Office | Recreation | Upper Colorado River

This site has a bunch of good info for that section. The map link breaks down most if not all of the river accesses, the facilities available and some camp options.
webstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
I have looked over the BLM map and thanks for the link. Are the named camp spots marked with signs in anyway? On the Dechutes my previous home river there was small signs with the names of the major camp spots. And there where small little posts that showed the river mile you where on. Is that similar to the upper Colorado?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013   #4

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The campsites between state bridge and catamount are difficult to find from the river...we managed to find one the time we floating it though...might want to scout some sites from the road when running your shuttle. GPS might come in handy
Old 06-24-2013   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Does the road follow the river most of the way from State to Catamount?
Old 06-24-2013   #6

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Not entirely as I remember...I just remembered after our trip I did see some better spots from the road that were not visible from the river
Old 06-24-2013   #7
El Chupanibre

ERIE, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
For the most part the river follows 131 and then Colorado River Road. The are a couple of places where the road drifts away from the river but only not too much. There some campsites on river left below State Bridge. There are significant amounts of private land and for the most part the land owners have been cool because the boaters who navigate the river have been respectful.
OldandBitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
So let me ask this question. Does a group planning a multi day trip on the upper colorado risk not finding a campsite? Is the traffic enough that one might literally not have a space to camp?

In my previous life I had a couple key sections of river that where for the most part BLM land. Yes on busy weekends or times of the year one might not get the prime camping spots but since it was mostly BLM land you could literally pull over anywhere and make your own camp. Even if you had to bushwhack a bit to do it.

From the maps I am looking at it seams there are very limited options on the upper C. But then again when I see a marked campsite on the BLM map I just assume that is a one party spot. Do some of these camp spots hold a number of parties?

Thanks for the help. It is a lot of work to try and dial in a good option. I want to know when we launch that #1 we will find a camp spot and #2 it will not be full.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2013   #9

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
There is limited camping between State Bridge and Catamount. The best area is river left below StateBridge (1.5 river miles) called Windy Point. (these sites are almost alwasy taken on a weeknd due to road access). All the other sites listed on the map (in red) are marginal to alright campsites for this stretch of river. Just before Bond (river mile 27.8 in blue) there is a sweeet site river left. It is taken about 70% of the time i float by. 1/2 mile after Bond and 1/2 mile before the 2 bridges take out there are a plethora of benches river left in grass and sage that can be used. You will always find a place to camp on this stretch

The best stretch to camp is also the busiest. Pumphouse to Rancho. The best camping is in the middle of the run from Radium to Rancho. The area of Island/benches (3 sites) and lone tree. Right after lone tree there is an unnamed site River Right. There is also an large island in the middle of the river right after lone tree that has 2 sites on it). There are also various sand bars and benches you can make work after lone tree.

I have camped even on the busiest of weekends and always found something.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #10
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
i would suggest bringing a printout of the map that was on the link above. in an earlier thread i described where all the camps i know about below state bridge are, but as said before, they can be a little difficult to spot. the map will help you with that.
also that map shows what's private land and what's blm land. if all the marked campsites are taken (which does happen, especially on busy days, but more often on pumphouse than below state bridge), as long as you're on blm land you can camp anywhere you want. there are quite a few more spots down there than aren't on the map, they're just small and sometimes hard to spot.

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote