Upper CO: Del Rancho to Dotsero? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2008   #1

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Upper CO: Del Rancho to Dotsero?

Anybody have an idea how long it would take to float from Del Rio Rancho to Dotsero at the current river levels? Also, how many CFS would I be looking at through much of this run? Does the Dotsero Guage include what dumps in from the Eagle or is it before that? I plan to put on this Saturday. Thanks.

FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Are you rafting or kayaking? Working hard or floating?

I'd expect at least a 2 to 3 day trip minimum but you'll probably be looking at long days on the river.

The Dotsero gage includes the Eagle at Gypsum. Subtract that from Dotsero and you'll get a reasonable idea of the Upper C above Dotsero.

Once you figure out the flow above Dotsero, take the flow from Colo at Kremmling and you'll have an idea of the flow between along the Upper C.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #3

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Are you rafting or kayaking? Working hard or floating?

I'd expect at least a 2 to 3 day trip minimum but you'll probably be looking at long days on the river.

The Dotsero gage includes the Eagle at Gypsum. Subtract that from Dotsero and you'll get a reasonable idea of the Upper C above Dotsero.

Once you figure out the flow above Dotsero, take the flow from Colo at Kremmling and you'll have an idea of the flow between along the Upper C.

You've been boating rivers since 1994?
Thanks for the reply. I'll be in a 13ft raft with oar rig. I've been paddling that since 2000 and kayaking since about 94. I just moved to Golden, CO from Philly, PA last September so I don't know the logistics on many of the rivers yet. I will probably give the trip about 4 days and 3 nights but I am also thinking about shortening it up a bit. I mainly like to hang around in camp and drink so a shorter trip might be best.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008   #4

vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Frank, if you have 4 days that should be plenty of time, but I think river right is mostly private land, watch where you camp. have fun out there
leesonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #5

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
We will be rafting from Statebridge to Dotesero (or there abouts) this weekend, was wondering some of the same things. Here is a link to the blm guide to that stretch of river. Does anyone know what Rodeo is like at these flows? How about the bridge dangers the blm guide talks about?
Sounds like there is good camping throughout.

http://http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc...p_colo_riv.pdf
Highside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #6

Drive the road

You can drive the length of the run in about 40 minutes one way. The two biggest obstacles are Bob's Bridge and Rodeo. They are easy to see from the road. They both can be pretty pushy at this level.
somewhereonariver is offline   Reply With Quote