upper C Rapids ? this weekend (labor day) - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
upper C Rapids ? this weekend (labor day)

question is how are the upper Colorado rapids (specifically Yarmony and Needle Eye) at the current lower flows? ..... I have only done the upper C in earlier season higher flows...I am a competent boater (14 foot oar rig), but thinking about a day trip with wifes young nieces (4 and 8 years old)....wife will wail on me if it seems "too wild" for the little kids, but I need to get out on the water ....thanks, CTR

CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
cake, seriously. I am not trying to down play them. below 2k needle eye is not even a rapid. go right of the rock. tons of room. no wave trains either.

yarmony is also verry easy but will seem like a rapid. it is a wave hole left of the rock and the further lwft of the rock the more wave and less hole. then there are a few wave trains with a small hole at the bottom left or right.

that is it in all of 11 miles
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
No wave trains at current level through Needles eye? I was hoping for a little play through pumphouse in a couple of days. Maybe I should go elsewhere.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i know theres a hot spring on the left.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Don't listen to Bob, he didn't even go last weekend. There are wave trains at Needles eye and if you try hard you can probably catch and surf the wave-hole just river-left of the rock at Yarm.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #6
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Cool, I just wanted to try some wave wheels in stuff bigger than the golden wwp at 100 CFS, and maybe catch a wave or two.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
not gonna happen....
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #8

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
i know theres a hot spring on the left.

Mike, I thought you were way to hardcore to run upper C...or were you the guy in the kayak I saw swim last weekend?
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #9

Thronton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CROE View Post
...thinking about a day trip with wifes young nieces (4 and 8 years old)....
We took 4 kids down it a few weeks ago - all 8 years or younger (8,7,5,4). Just keep them warm through the rapids (rain gear will do) in case they get splashed and stop at the hot springs. They'll have a blast.

Just stick to the lines suggested, and it will be no big deal. It will be just enough ofr them to have some fun though.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #10

3, Colorado
I have been on that run Thursday with my 2.5 year old and on Friday in a ducky with my wife. 2.5 year old obviously at home.
Its a good family run, that will offer the kids just enough excitement while giving you some peace and mind about the safety and security of your family. We run it once a week and have had great family outtings all summer long.
Go, have fun...........the flow is nice, won't destroy your boat, has some good water for the wife and kids and is an enjoyable day.
Eye of the needle just go right of the only rock that will be in your way. Then down at Yarmony enter left around the big rock in entry then start making yourself go straight down the main flow. As of yesterday I hit the holes and powered through them in a ducky and got good splashes, but never spilled my beer.
Go have fun and don't give it another thought.
Hope this helps.
PS hot springs are pretty warm and comfortable right now as they are gettting no river water in them.
Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote