Upper C camping spots - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-01-2012   #1

Upper C camping spots

I am headed camping tomorrow. I was wanting to camp by the river somewhere. Does anyone have any recommendations of camping spots on the Upper C? I'm preferably looking for somewhere that won't be super crowded. Thanks for any help.

catfishjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012   #2

Most of the places I've camped are after Yarmony (second canyon). Island is nice, and lower down are the Benches. I like Bench 2 and 3. On a holiday weekend, you can't be too picky - I bet there will be many folks camping.

Oh, and bring earplugs for the train!!!!!

And be smart with food and trash as there is apparently a bit of a bear problem.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #3

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Whoa!! "a bear problem"? WTH I'm headed out there in a few weeks with my 5 year old near Bench 2 or 3? Can you tell me a little more about this bear problem? Coon
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012   #4

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
There are bears in the area we saw a cub just above Rancho in early July. Talked to some people that saw a bear on the other side of trough road when camping east of benches and they saw a cat near eye of the needle. Not sure if there have been any problems but they are around. DOW said animals are staying lower this summer due to drought to find water.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #5

Summit County, Colorado
Thanks!! That doesn't seem like a problem, it seems like "situation normal" for camping in the Rockies. Thanks for the beta.Ps the cat seems a little unnerving come to think of it. Ha ha
Coon
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #6

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I guess they saw the cat while doing a moonlight run right at dark walking the lower canyon above the river.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #7

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Bears

The last 5 trips camping at the benches and surrounding sites I have seen bears including a cub eating out of a cooler that was left in a raft. I would use cation and plan for bears being around. Camping below statebridge would be best if you don't like crowds.
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #8

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
2 bears on Deso in June...one at Poverty swam across the river to leave out the drainage. A clean camp, rinse beverage cans, put all food and ammo boxed trash on the boats, use a bleach solution to spray and wipe all kitchen surfaces helps.
Oh yeah, close up the groover in between uses...had a cub push it over couple of years ago, again on Deso.
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #9
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
we pulled off yesterday and the bench spots, lone tree, island campoing spots were open. Kind of weird but I guess people were doing the same thing we did get off early to have an easier trip home.
As far as bears we saw one a month ago across from Lone tree site but none this weekend I guess the dogs kept them away