Upper Box Levels - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-26-2004   #1

Upper Box Levels

Anyone hit the box at 1100-1200. Thinking about running it on Sun. I hear the sieves are bad at this level.
Any advice for a first time box paddler who is confident in classV!!

Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2004   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Seives are present at low water

The seives are especially bad at flows below 600 cfs. The higher the water, the more filled in, so I believe the danger is somewhat lessened as long as you stay in your boat. Flows over 1100 (my highest run down the UTB)would start to feel very big, and most of the rapids would be totally filled in. That being said, I wouldn't want to be out of my boat very long anywhere in that section, at any level. Sieves are still a problem at NCO (very bad) and Hell Hole; and Big and Little Arsenic are always sketchy. Current flows will be very challenging (think Gore at 1400). Go down with someone who knows the run. Wear a face mask as there seems to be a lot of sharp rocks around.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004   #3

Student
yup

at this level, the lower water sieves dissapear(or get worse) and new ones appear along the shore line as the river rises. Still tons of sieves everywhere, good fun high water narl. be super careful and have a blast. the holes are really starting to kick. adios, atom....
do not attempt the run if you are learning class 5, especially at these levels.......
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2004   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
yo adam...are you going to be free on monday? wanna make a run?
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004   #5

Student
nope

grad school monday, will be slowly picking my way down on sunday if your free. good filming level, adios, atom...
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004   #6

Can anyone confirm the rummor that irrigation is starting on April first and flows will go down on Thursday?
GrooveNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004   #7

Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I left a message with Greg Gustina, Fisheries Hydrologist, of our Taos Field Office at 505.751.4707. He may know the skinny. I hope the water doens't run out. We got about 8 going down in 3 weeks to run LTB and Pilar. I will post something if I hear back. ~Jamie
PhillyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004   #8

Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Haven't heard anything yet from the BLM office. Does anyone know the skinny on the diversions on the Rio Grande. We have a trip in 2 weeks but are worried abut the flow.
PhillyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote