upper blue takeout options? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-24-2005   #1
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
upper blue takeout options?

floating the upper blue tonight and wondering if there is a lower takeout. 3 miles is a bit short so any info on a takeout downstream would be great.
is there a takeout closer to GMR? what does the land look like, private??
will have a raft which might be something to consider. thanks again.

zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Zach,

I haven't gone further than the highway 9 bridge, but I think you can head all the way down to green mt., be aware of fences I think that was the deal. There is a fence somewhere down there but I know people have floated down.

I'll try to get you better info.

Danny
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #3

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
speaking of fences

Speaking of fences, last evening, with the sun setting in our faces, the fence on river-right a short distance from the takeout was harder to see. As the water level goes up, it could be really bad if you don't know it's there!
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005   #4

Cody, Wyoming
zl (or any summit folks for that matter), can you give a little more beta on the hazards you encountered on the run as the flow has come up. i read the earlier posts about some new wood, but other posts indicated removal or movement due to boater efforts. just want to get a good idea of whats in there now, as i only ran it once with the labor day release last year (and now i am worried b/c i don't recall any fence near the take out, or anywhere else). also, i suspect there will be many people on it for the first time this weekend.

thanks in advance, hope to see some folks there on sunday. later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #5

Salida, Colorado
Zach,

sounds like you should be clear all the way through, enjoy.
Old 06-24-2005   #6

Salida, Colorado
Zach,

sounds like you should be clear all the way through, enjoy.
Old 06-24-2005   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
All, thanks for the info.

danny, havent seen ya since the browns escapade. you got a hankerin to run the gore race? i'd love to run it with you in the stinger or the 14' i have. on that note anything you want to run would be great (bailey?? blackrock??) . i have been wanting to get on some tight stuff but the 12'er and perry are in oregon for the summer. i'm fiending for some steep r-2ing . give a call 303 956 5722
zach
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #8

Salida, Colorado
zach,

I haven't made any plans yet for gore but I think I'll need to get in there this year it's been too long. We'll have to get together for some paddling soon for sure. Looks like might be on clear creek sunday??
Old 06-28-2005   #9

So is it good all the way from Silverthorne to Green Mountain?
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Zach,

I ran the Upper Blue down to the next state parks access (5 miles?) just above Green Mt. Res. where the river goes from the east to west side of the highway. It was about 10 years ago and remember it being "technical Class I" -- swift & busy with lots of rocks in the channel but no waves and not even the gradient that you find on the Milk Run above Brown's. In 1995 there were no fences across the river but I remember a piece of metal sticking up that could slice a rubber boat pretty badly just past the highway bridge that's a couple of miles below the standard Upper Blue takeout. We had a paddle boat and I can't remember whether there was a decent boatramp at the takeout. Its all prime bottom land in Summit County's ranching district so I expect its all private land.

I ran the section with the Boulder Creek rapids in a paddle boat last Labor Day and the regular takeout was a royal pain in the butt - you have to carry the raft about 200 yds and up a hill to get to your trailer or car. Amazing how they did all that earth work down there and botched the take out so badly - it used to be that you could back a trailer right down to the water.

Let me know when you're going to run the Upper Blue - I'd love to run that reach in a paddle boat. I'd REALLY like to run it on the oars but a crappy takeout situation may rule that out.

Any recent beta on the access just above Green Mt. res. would be appreciated.

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote