Upper Blue - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2005   #1

Upper Blue

It's been four or five years since i ran it- showing 344 now, what's the min flow before it gets worthwhile? and will it get that high?
thx!

sardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005   #2
sj

I've ran it as low as 250 but 400 is best for a minimum. I would jump on there if I was you. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #3

Ran it last night and it is good to go. It was around 425-450cfs on the gage when we ran it, but Straight, Rock, Boulder & other feeder creeks are probably dumping in another 200-250cfs below the gaging station.
There are a couple of trees down in the river to watch out for. The first tree is blocking the left third of the river near the top of the second rapid(Boulder Rapid being the first). It is easy to miss but be on the look out.
The second tree is blocking the entire left half of the river approx. 40feet down stream of what I would consider the best play wave on that stretch. For most, the placement of this tree makes surfing the wave not an option.
cmsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Beta please...

I know there were posts on this around Labor Day last year when it ran last. I searched for them and they don't seem to be available anymore. Could someone please post some beta on the run? Perhaps include comparable sections of river. Much appreciated.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #5
sj

I'd say comparablr to the bridges run at 2 ft. Just solid III you can see any hazard easy. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #6

Cody, Wyoming
summit, are you talking about the best wave on the whole run, or a wave of a particular rapid? i was there last labor day, and there was really only one wave where a "group" formed due to good eddy service from both sides, located just a little downstream of biggest rapid, and with a little entrance rapid just above the feature. is this the one? if so, could the tree be moved or pulled parallel to shore (with a Z drag) to make the feature safe for play??

also, does anyone know if there is water in the breck park? i need to pick up wife and friends on saturday from the Ride the Rockies finish party, and i am wondering if i should bring my boat to town. what about the features in silverthorne, are they any good with the water now? any info would be great!

i thought the run had a similar feel to foxton, with more sustained rapids. I thought the CRC description was fair and accurate. CL III+ IMO, could get harder with huge water, say if the dam ever broke.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #7

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
True, the dam keepers let it run over Labor Day. They send Dillion Res's allotment that they owe to the Colorado river that weekend. A lot of boaters come out for it.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #8

I just got back from running it. Definitely higher than the release last Fall. They released last year because they owed Green Mtn. Reservoir some water. There will not be any release like that this year....get the Blue while you can!

Also, cmsummit...is that Chad? Lets boat dude! ( I suck, but whatever )
blurredelevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #9

Blue River, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowman
also, does anyone know if there is water in the breck park? i need to pick up wife and friends on saturday from the Ride the Rockies finish party, and i am wondering if i should bring my boat to town. what about the features in silverthorne, are they any good with the water now? any info would be great!
The Breck park is 'trickling' . You can boat it but it is freezing and small. Right now if your into river running Tenmile Creek from Officers Gulch to Dillon Res. is fun but shallow.

If you want a wave to play in I think the one on Ten Mile Creek under the bridge at Frisco Main St. is probably the best in the area right now.

Haven't done the Upper Blue yet but I plan on running it tonight.
f@taldata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #10

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ran it last night (Wednesday), it's nice to have a local after-work class III run in Summit! I guess a group of people went out there and cut away one of the strainers near "the play wave". Thanks!!
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote