Upcoming &inexpensive swiftwater rescue class for kayake - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-26-2005   #1

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Upcoming &inexpensive swiftwater rescue class for kayake

I just wanted to get the word out early about an upcoming event that every paddler should take advantage of. During our Paddle with the Pros on Clear Creek June 11th & 12th I have brought in someone I consider the best swift water instructor around, Mike Mather. Here is just a glimpse of his style http://www.matherrescue.com/ Notice how he has real life pinned himself and has taught his class the skills to pull him free. I know, pretty sick. Mike and I have been setting up a one day only class on Sat. the 11th from 8:30am till 4:30pm with the class emphasis on kayakers, paddler rescue, boat retrieval, etc... I have taken the class and learned more then from any other instructor. In our class Mike pinned himself on a bridge and also stuffed himself in his kayak for us to pull him free. To some it seems crazy but he has it worked out and his technique will show you what it is like when shit really hits the fan and you have to act, fast.
Typically this class is $175 but Mike has lowered the price to $50! Why? To get people out in the water and get paddlers safer. Many out there paddle over their head and THINK they know what to do when it goes down but don't. The idea here is to educate and show some real scenarios in real conditions. We will do the whole class all day on Sat. followed by a free cookout provided by yours truly along with optional conversation about river rescue with Mike. You will receive an A.C.A card that shows participation in a swift water rescue class geared toward kayak rescue. There is so much to learn that it would be impossible to learn everything there is about rescue in one day however this action packed class will step up your safety skills. The class will take place near the Lawson hole on Clear Creek. Class size is limited so e-mail me at [email protected]. Remember that PWTPs is FREE as always but the swiftwater class is $50.
Our Paddle with the Pros will be both days so if you decide to take the class Sat., no worries, all the fun of PWTPS will carry on Sunday and we will have a free breakfast served up in the a.m. This is a great chance for a fun weekend of paddling, learning new skills, and possibly learning some skills that may very well save your paddling friends life.

hobie
Dagger Kayaks
Paddle with the Pros
Rocky Mountain Division

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005   #2

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
hey Hobie

you need to get that course down here next time you have a paddle with the pros in durango

Mike
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #3

I wish could take it everywhere with me. Mike is very good at what he does and how he teaches. It's hands on, look at the best approach and get someone out of a jam kind of stuff. ItÂ’s also pretty tough to get some of his time as he teaches all over. He said he believed in the idea of this clinic so he wanted to help. Maybe I can work out more stops next year.

h
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005   #4

Other than obvious boating equipment pfd, helmet...do I need to go buy a throwbag and any other stuff?
matty1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #5

Holy cow. 26 people signed up since I put the post. Awesome! However at this time I have to close the gates. I will call Mike and see if he wants to do a Sunday class as well. Any takers? All of you that mailed me so far, all is good and I have you down. Im glad it is proving to be something paddlers really want to see and participate in. Let me check to see if we can add more to Sat. but as for now the class is full.

hobie
Old 05-26-2005   #6

Cody, Wyoming
Lawson hole location

Bring all your own gear to Mather's class, he will let you use your own throw ropes and pin kits. With limited time, he may not do the rescue vest session, but he did in his 2 day class. I agree that he is an awesome instructor and a very cool guy to boot.

Hobie, please let us know where you will be with PWTP group. At one time a few years back, the Lawson Hole was a "secret stash" that no one would give up, has that changed now? I have a suspicion of where it is, but don't know the specifics, so please give us some directions for the event.

Also, get back out on the Rodeo Wave in Eagle, I enjoyed watching you guys work your arses off the other night. That thing is a nasty mofo, but the effort-to-benefit ratio looks a little undesirable. When the EMT's were watching, more than a couple gawkers drove up asking "did one of them there little boaters git hert??" Later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #7

Spoke with Mike and the Sunday class is not possible. Sorry. It will stand at the 30 for Sat. Maybe we can work a second class in next year. look forward to seeing you there.

h
Old 05-27-2005   #8

Are there still spots open ??? if so put me down please.
I'll get with you on details.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005   #9

Sorry to have to turn away a few of you. I had no idea this was so needed and so many would respond. Here is the confirmed group for Sat. the 11th. If you see your name and can't make it please mail me so I can fill the spot.

Will Sterling
Allison O'Brien
Steve Gleason
Corey Davidson
Craig Talbot
Matt Lee
Louis perez
Mrs. louis perez
Jennifer Lowell
Linda Ziccardi
John Spencer
Kristin Mayo
Russell Gottmer
Rob Petterson
Mrs. rob Petterson
Luke pennington
Brian Ledoux
Friend of ledoux
Amir Alrubaiy
Randy Petterson
Danielle Vogenbeck
Danielle's friend
Jay Hendrickson
Mike Brodene
Marc Tardif
Matt McQuown
Matt Wade
Dan Wrona
Laurie MaCraig
Friend of McCraig
Ken Stanley

Look forward to seeing you all on the 11th. I spoke with Mike and he is overwhelmed by the response. He said next year we are going to do a whole weekend and maybe in a few locations. Again, sorry to those that did not get into the class. we will have plenty of room at the PWTPS which is wide open and free both days! So come along for the Confluence Kayaks/Dagger Paddle with the Pros the 11th and 12th. we will have free playboat clinics as well as river running. More details to follow.