uncompaghre river stretches - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-28-2005   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
uncompaghre river stretches

was down in durango this weekend, looked at the gorge above ouray for a long time, do people run this at all? it looks sketchy in spots but in others it looks like it could be a steep creekers paradise...anyone here run it?

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005   #2

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
we have run the gorge numerous times--the section crc 1 describes. 4+/5- whitewater in a gorge that is crazy tight. like a hallway. each time, we scouted the whole thing from the rim--as if you came across wood, it would be bad. we do at lower water, ouray less than 450 or so. i know that people have been putting in higher up on red mt. creek in the last few years---lots of potential there. sick just to be in that gorge. the section below ouray from the beige bridge to the koa is great as well. 5- yesterday around 600. we did 3 laps. when it is 1000 or more--it gets to be 5+ crazy. super hi speed and hidden holes, as you can't really see. river bottom is gnar and the run has a high danger factor if you roll or swim. at 1000+ i heard it described as a "mini north fk."
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #3
God Amongst Men

nice, thanks for the info....it looked super gnar gnar but it did look mostly runnable, im glad to hear someone has run it at least. whats the word on the stretch that parallels the 4WD road to lake city that forks off 550? i remember there being a sizeable creek next to the road in a pretty intense gorge, but its been a few years since ive been up there and my memory is really foggy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005   #4

placerville, Colorado
that is the uncompahgre. there is potential... red mt. creek is above that alongside 550.
Old 06-30-2005   #5
God Amongst Men

oh, ok....how many miles is it from the put in to ouray?
Old 06-30-2005   #6
cdw

old article

Here's a contribution to AW by the original Mr. Access hisself:
American Whitewater - Journal Archive Uncompahgre, mi Compadre, 1995, Nov.-Dec. 17, Rich Hoffman, Access Legal Action, CO, Uncompahgre. Yellowstone Access, 1995, Nov.-Dec. ...
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/jo...rchive/1995/6/ - 23k -
-old school easterner come west
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #7

placerville, Colorado
what page?
Old 07-01-2005   #8

Central, Colorado

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/jo...1995_6_017.jpg
tpalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #9

placerville, Colorado
thanks
Old 07-02-2005   #10
God Amongst Men

thanks for that valuable contribution, cdw, but that has absolutely nothing regarding what i was looking for. i was looking for some beta on running the uncompahgre gorge. but let me tell you, paddlers talking to cops in ouray itself is EXACLTLY what i wanted to find. screw the gorge, i wasnt looking for anything about it really, i actually wanted to know what the local authorities in ouray do for the spare time. but hey, if you want to maybe post the red sox scores or something when i ask about westwater, feel free.

now......steven, do you by any chance have the length or a rough gradient from the put in (im guessing on 550 in the gorge) to ouray?