Ultimate Beer Holder - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2008   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ultimate Beer Holder

In anticipation of lots of boating this season, and my first grand canyon trip, I am trying to find the ultimate beverage holder. I figure it should accomplish a few things:

1. Keep beverage cold
A simple foam koozie is usually enough, but foam can stick to the cans a bit making removing the can harder and tearing the foam. Neoprene dosen't insulate quite as well, but it is easier to remove the can.
Thermos makes a vacuum lined koozie that is supposed to be great for 105║ days.
Thermos : Product : Beverage Can Insulator 2700

2. Keep beverage easily accessible
There seem to be 2 main options - the beer necklace or a frame mounted holder.

The beer necklace has the advantage of going anywhere you do, so it goes into camp, to concerts, and on side hikes if you want it to - you can also use it paddle boating or on a friends raft. Any koozie can be converted to a necklace with duck tape and some webbing. Or you can buy pre-made:
CoolerGadgets.com

The frame mount means not having a rope tied around your neck while boating.
River Runner Essentials
web2

3. Keep beverage separate from river water
There is a company that makes tops for 12 oz cans, cheap and probably effective:
Soda Can Lid - Pop Can Lid
But it is kinda like a sippy cup, so it might not win any cool points. On the plus side there is a lanyard hole so it will attach to the necklace, then you can take it on and off and not lose it while drinking.
On the cooler side is the BottleIt - converts cans into bottles:
CoolerGadgets.com
Not sure about how much beer ends up on top of the can with this - or if it really matters, but dirty can lids will probably contaminate your beer.

I think my favorite so far is the neoprene koozie necklace with the sippy cup lid - whats your favorite?

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008   #2

lately I've been using my roommates rig. He has wooden decking on the frame, and two cut out holes over the tubes, one on either side of the rower. That way you can have a backup beer for when one runs out. Might not work in hot weather though. I had an open beer in it when running Big Drop 3. The beer held its own, and was good to go afterwards. Maybe a little river water, a lid would be nice but I wouldn't want to fuss with a lid every time I wanted a sip.
ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I've been using a large yogurt container, holes in the botton, string through that holding it to the floor. Not water proof. I think I'm going to try for my GC trip to find a larger plastic peanut butter container that has a screw-on lid for big rapids. Must be big enough for koozy and easy to pull beer can out of. Still holes and string through the bottom to tie it to the floor.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008   #4

Fort Collins, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sean-

Have fun on the Grand. I got on a trip last March for the first time. It's really quite special. I can't wait to get back.

As for beer holders, I know of two excellent ones that are probably better than the ones you've linked to here. The first, known as a Class V River Betty, was invented by some folks I ran the Salt with a few years ago. web2 They sell them at Down River: Down River Equipment
or CKS: Class V River Betty

The only downside to the River Betty is that it doesn't have the same insulating power as a coozie. But I would imagine it would keep your beverage cold enough until you're on to the next one.

The other beer holder is a typical coozie, but with a suction cup on the bottom that will hold fast to just about anything on your boat, even through major rapids. It's really a brilliant invention. It's made by a company called L'il Sucker. Google "insulated lil sucker". Here's one result: Lil Sucker Original Cup Holder, Marine, Imc at Sportsman's Guide
Every boater should have one.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-25-2008   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
The only downside to the River Betty is that it doesn't have the same insulating power as a coozie.
It does come with a River Betty coozie and is big enough around to fit a beer with a coozie on it.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #6

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewaterjunkie View Post
The only downside to the River Betty is that it doesn't have the same insulating power as a coozie. But I would imagine it would keep your beverage cold enough until you're on to the next one.
I don't want to harp on it, but the other downside to it is the sexist image. As a woman, I'm certainly not going to use something like that. I'm sure their female market is small, but they are likely missing out on more than a few people that avoid it for this reason, like me.
Old 02-25-2008   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Caverdan,
Maybe your brother could make a River Bob with the image of some dude sporting a big woody.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #8
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I use a regular coozie and the DRE frame mount (single) beverage holder. The frame mount is great as it can hold any beverage (only 2 I know of on the riv... Beer and water)

A buddy of mine made a nice contraption out of PVC. I think it's 2.5 or 3 inch PVC pipe ( whichever size fits a beer in a coozie) with 2 slip ends. Glue 1 end on the pipe. Use 8 inches of 1in webbing. Rivet webbing to pipe and non glued on end. Drill a hole in the glued on end for drainage. Attach to frame via a pipe clamp that you have riveted onto the pipe. Use sand paper on inside of non glued end to get nice fit.

If I was doing a grand trip, I would probably make 1 of these for myself and have a DRE set up for a Nalgene or odds n ends.
Old 02-25-2008   #9

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
Caverdan,
Maybe your brother could make a River Bob with the image of some dude sporting a big woody.
Nah, but feministing has a good take on the "boob girl" graphic.

Feministing

You gotta laugh at everything or else this world would drive you insane. Wait a minute, it's too late!!!
Old 02-25-2008   #10

at my house, Montana
I like the PVC option. I am thinking about screwing a strap onto the glued base. Screw a small section of strap onto the loose PVC end (2 attachments). Take the strap on the base, thread it through the strap on the top, then put a buckle on each end. Hit the rapids, and you flip the lid onto it, and clip the buckle together to keep your beer in your can and the water out.

Tags
beer