Ugly Water - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-06-2006   #1
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Ugly Water

Looks like I need to start a new thread so my other post (about why you boat) is not jacked. I have done maybe 130 different rivers/runs and I can't think of one. The N Fk Cal Salmon has a lot of tailings piles from hydrolic placer mining but it is recovered nicely elsewhere. Not ugly by a long shot. I guess I look at the other end of the spectrum and compare runs with the #s after a great run when you drive back up and see boulder filled drop after drop. Pretty water.

ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006   #2

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The Weber in UT is kinda ugly
Old 12-06-2006   #3

Weber river: most of the Henefer/Taggart section is pretty enough. Scrambled Egg Bend is uglier than homemade sin - when you walk on the rright side, you are stepping on more ammo casings than gravel. And the channel after that is straddled by opposing lanes of I-84. Ogden WW Park is flanked by a stockyard on rleft and a caustic chemical factory that used to be a slaughterhouse on rright.

So yeah, on the whole the Weber is fairly ugly. Rack it up to Utah's almost adversarial attitude toward natural beauty.
David Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006   #4

The scenery and water in Confluence are definately not pretty. Anyone who's had to do some hiking in Gore knows that the scree field that makes up the river bank is an ugly pile of barbed-wire, telephone cable, railroad ties, stakes, nails, etc.,etc. That being said, I would much rather be paddling Gore or playing in Confluence than watching traffic through the window across from a cube.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
You have a window! Not fair.
Old 12-06-2006   #6
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
the section of the tuckaseegee in north carolina where they filmed the train wreck scene from the harrison ford movie " the fugitive" is kind of ugly. the train wreck set is still on the river right side of the river. there are several trailers and houses right on the river. some of them could use a good bulldozing. both times i have paddled that section, i have seen dead rotting bloated corpses of animals floating down the river.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #7

I've heard about a creek running by Silver Mountain, Idaho, that is downright scary (full of mine tailings, strange and frequent color changes, odd, smells, etc.) but I don't know what it is or if anyone would actually paddle it. I kind of wish I had a shot of me surfing on the Snake in Keystone that day it was running orange . Unfortunately I was out of town that day because I think I would have done it. Who knows, maybe that would have turned me normal .

Hey Greg, you're gonna have those TPS reports to me by Friday, right? What, you didn't get the memo?

D
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT
I've heard about a creek running by Silver Mountain, Idaho, that is downright scary (full of mine tailings, strange and frequent color changes, odd, smells, etc.) but I don't know what it is or if anyone would actually paddle it.

D
Are you talking about Shit Creek also known as the S Fork Cour d'Alene? If so it sounds nasty and yes it is paddled.

Otherwise, I'd nominate Gilman gorge on the Eagle. It has the pretty waterfall on the side creek, but the former superfund sight might fall into the ugly category. I thought it was pretty neat.
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
Count, I will get right on that.
Old 12-06-2006   #10

The Zen of Paddling?

Interesting. Every reference made to "ugly" aesthetically is "ugly" due to the watershed being degraded. I think beautiful rivers have multiple elements such as: fun factor, scenery, flow, and river health.

I find water as a form - how it moves, the hydrogeology - beautiful and perplexing. (Anyone figure out boils and funny water?) Water flow is beautiful. So in general, being on water is always a good thing for the soul. Go with the flow, right?

However, I find intact healthy water systems enhance the experience of being on the water. The difference between a wild and scenic section (Gates of Lodore, Gunni Gorge) vs. adjacent to I-70 and the railroad for example (Gore, Shosho). The railroad industry, DOT and mining have done a doozy on riparian systems. As paddlers, we should be the biggest advocates of watershed health and restoration.

(point of disclosure here: I've a watershed management background...so I am biased and highly sensitive to recognizing watershed degredation - erosion, unstable banks, lack of setbacks, water turbidity, channelization, etc. All of that is PAINFULLY UGLY and sad for me to see.).

But any day on the river is better than a day in the office.
moshe is offline   Reply With Quote