U. Yough (Maryland) info - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-01-2006   #1

U. Yough (Maryland) info

Release says water at 10am. About what time can you put on and about how much time does the run take. I'd did it 3 years ago but this year we're gonna be on a timeline to the Pittsburg airport.

DirtyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006   #2

I boated it for the first time last weekend although the guy I went with knew it really well- he says it takes 2 hours from the dam for the water to get to the put in.... if you beat the water past the flat part, wait at "wait rock" (end of the flatwater, huge flat black rock on the left) 'til it is covered by the water and you should be good to go. It took us almost 4 hours, but usually it takes 3 if you don't get run over by rafts, or have to have every line explained to you! have fun!
danceronhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #3

I run it all the time. When the water releases as 10, I don't like to put on before 1 or risk getting ahead of the bubble, at normal paddling speed and not stopping often or too long. If you plan to hang out at nationals for awhile, you can leave before 1. The water really takes about 3 hours, but you could certainly put-on at noon and stay at the front of the bubble if you're in a hurry, but it's less fun that way.

And don't forget to bring a towel.
Blumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006   #4

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
I'll have to admit the last time I was there I did forget to bring a towel.......But, I will not make that mistake again. Maybe Blumpkin you should tell everyone why it is SO VERY IMPORTANT to never forget to bring a towel.
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #5
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
if you do forget to bring a towel, the mountain surf shop has changing rooms for your convienence, or at least they used to. last time i was there was 2001 things may have changed since, but i am sure they aren't any going any easier on people changing in public. seems strange since the mayor of friendsville a got busted a couple of times for exposing himself to other motorists as he was driving down the road. afterward they even re elected him in the next election.

just found this in "the news of the wierd"
1995 -- In February, Friendsville, Md., mayor Spencer Schlosnagle, 31, pleaded guilty to one count of exposing himself in his car along Interstate 68. He had already served 30 days of work-release stemming from a November conviction for a similar incident on the same highway. Schlosnagle was first elected mayor at age 21 and, despite the widespread local knowledge of his "problem," was overwhelmingly re-elected in February 1994.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #6

THe changing rooms are still there. That was an inside joke.

I have no idea how long the run takes. I suppose that depends on how fast you paddle and how often/long you stop. Probably 2-3 hours.
Old 09-03-2006   #7

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH Now that's hilarious
How 'bout the SEC now Byatches!!!
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #8

Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
I was there about three weeks ago. I'd plan on putting on 12:30-1:00 and taking 3.5-4.0 hours. You'll likely outrun the water if you try to bomb down it.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #9

Conclusive answer: It does not matter what time you put on, you simply cannot get to the take-out before 4, there's just not enough water. I casually hand paddled it yesterday, switched to my breakdown at the end of the rapids to bomb down because I had to be somewhere. Passed the bubble and had to wait...and wait...and wait. If you need to be off the river before 4, you're screwed, unless there is enough natural flow.

How about the ACC?? Unranked Georgia Tech almost knocking off #2 Notre Dame. Although, that Miami/FSU game sure did suck, doesn't make me feel good about them at all.
Old 09-05-2006   #10

Don't know squat 'bout the Yough.Do know college ball my two teams had vastly different results;Buffs most pathetic loss since Drake in the 70's...er or maybe the last 3 games last year,but the BUCKEYES ARE ABSOLUTELY DOMINANT WOULD SLAUGHTER THE DAWGS.Next weeks OSU /Texas winner has a leg up on the natl. championship.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote