Typical scam happening on gear swap... - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-06-2005   #1

Typical scam happening on gear swap...

I am selling my rack and the same guy that does this regularly to people on boatertalk has decided to strike mt. buzz. He offers to send a cashiers check in excess of the total of the item sold and asks that you return the difference to him via a check etc. Well, the cashiers check is bad, but takes the bank about 3 weeks to recognize. He then cashes your check for the difference etc. Watch out everyone!

stonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005   #2

I understand; my step-dad was getting similar calls while selling a car on autotrader.com. It's a very common scam. Hope you didn't fall for it. The police, ect. won't do anything about it so the scammers seems to get away with it. Enjoy the snow!
Withdrawn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
To add to the fun there's a new game on ebay. Someone offers you a 2nd chance bid on an item that you bid on but didnt win. They dont own the item and are just trying to scam you with a bogus email.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005   #4

StoneJ,
Sorry about your plight.

I'm assuming that you deposited the check into a deposit account at your bank. Going on this assumption, odds are the check was not scrutinized as much as if you had just cashed it. It was simply run through the proof machines and never physically inspected. The check then had to travel the federal system, though this is now wireless and shouldn't take three weeks. (Sorry, gotta defend the bank just a wee bit)

There are certain security features on cashiers checks, like water marks. Also, there is nothing that prevents you from calling the paying bank to verify the check.

I recommend this: if you get good customer service at your bank, you could simply present future checks to the teller to verify for you. Saves you long distance, the bank has easy access to legitimate bank contact numbers and if it is a bogus check, they've been alerted to a fraud and perhaps can help squelch it for others who are accepting these same checks. It will definitely save you from accepting a bad check.

As the other replies imply, it's an instant red-flag when someone requests a transaction such as you have described. It mirrors the infamous "Nigerian Scam", that has been taking people for almost 20 years.

Now, did you ever think you'd get "free" banking advice on Mountain Buzz? LOL, Hope this helps you and others who accept bank checks for personal sales.

Later,
Loaner
Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
Nice advice and I totally agree. I took a cashiers check to my bank and they checked it and even called the other bank to verify for me.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #6

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It just happened to me...

I got this message today...

Dear Evan,
Thanks for the mail , the price is okay by me and i am ready to purchase from you immediately, i am ok with $600 for the s ( Dagger G-Ride 6.5) and i want you to delete the ad from the website,i have a reputable shipper that will take care of shipping from your end i want to let you know i have a client in the state that is oweing me a sum of $4,500 , i will instruct him to issue you a certified cashier'scheque on my behalf and as soon as cheque arrives, you hold out your amount and send the difference to my shipper for the pick up in your place, i hope i can trust you for my balance and also you will be contacting my shipper with all neccesary information needed for pick up in your place i.e the actual weightand exact dimensionof the ( Dagger G-Ride 6.5) if this terms are okay by you, do get back to do get back to me with the following details wicth payment be made out to you like this
Home Address...
Full Name on cheque...
State... Zip code...
Country...
Telephone Number...
Mobilephone number... Fax Number...
Do get back to me asap with this details for payment to be made out to you immediately. Waiting to hearing from you. Thanks and God bless you Good day.
Steven..

his email address is [email protected] for everyone to be aware of.

Obviously this guy is still working MB so be aware. Cheers.
EvanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #7

Looks like that was a chance to call the law. The law takes fake cashiers checks pretty seriously, especially for $5000.
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005   #8

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I did

I did, I did some searching on boater talk about anybody to contact and the only things I could find was links to Secret Service phone numbers. I gave both of those Colorado numbers a call and one was disconnected and the other I was put on eternal hold. I then called my local sheriff office and talked w/ a deputy and he said it would be tough finding anybody who wanted to pursue anything. He suggested just leaving it alone and just pass the word on like I and it seems like a lot of other people have been doing. Anyway, Cheers!
EvanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005   #9

Im selling my C-1, and recieved two emails with the "same" sort of language . The guiy offered me $100 more for the item and never got back to me.
heres a copy of the emails

Hello,
I am interested in buying your Mr.Clean Set up C-1 that is for sale, but before i proceed, are there any other parties interested? what is your asking price? do you have the pictures? is it in excellent conditions? do get back to me urgently.
Luis...

heres the reply to my email saying boat is still available:
( I removed my name for "security", he had my first and last name.

Hello Brian ,
Thanks for your prompt response as regards this purchase.well i really want to be the person who wil eventually own this boat. well i am much okay with your asking price. where in the states are you located? do get back to me with the pictures today so that payment can commence as soon as possible.
Moreover, to show you that i really personally want to be the owner of this set up, i intend adding extra $100 to your asking price so that the other interested party, will lose interest. tell him it's already sold okay. my son is going crazy to have this clean set up.
Do get back to me.
Regards
Luis...

(dont know how he got my real name!)

heres my reply after not hearing freom the guy

serious inquiries only please

I think I nipped it at the bud, I hope so.

now here is another inquiry with the word "commence" as refferring to payment, odd that two different potential buyers would use the word commence, I cant remember the last time I used it!

Hello Tiggy,
I am interested in purchasing your canoes annd accessories that is for
sale but before i commence, i will like to know it's present status. please get
back to me as soon as possible

Kristy...
--
pretty weird. I never heard back from these guys. Dont know if they were for real or not. but, I dont consider anything sold until Im SPENDING the money lol!
BTW ane1 want a C-1? LOL

hope this helps eliviate scams!
Tiggy

heres the 2 email addys so you guys know!
[email protected]
[email protected]
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005   #10

Re: I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB
I did, I did some searching on boater talk about anybody to contact and the only things I could find was links to Secret Service phone numbers. I gave both of those Colorado numbers a call and one was disconnected and the other I was put on eternal hold. I then called my local sheriff office and talked w/ a deputy and he said it would be tough finding anybody who wanted to pursue anything. He suggested just leaving it alone and just pass the word on like I and it seems like a lot of other people have been doing. Anyway, Cheers!
Colorado unfortuneately does not even possess the funding to convict Identity frauders!! Something needs to be done about this, they get away all the time! Shred your bills, credit card offers and do not sort mail at the Post office. Also those checks thast credit card companies send are targets. My last Health insurance card used my SS# for ID, lol, we gotta get this taken care of!
Tiggy
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote