Mountain Buzz banner

Trouble on Upper Clear Creek?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mjpowhound 
#1 ·
We were driving down the Clear Creek Canyon and about (3:30pm?) a mile or two past Double Knife there was swift water rescue, police, ambulance, and a lot of confused people.

Anyone know what happened?

Thanks

#2 ·
I was up there climbing. There was a group of 5-6 kayakers, one of them was swimming and got out betweent tunnels 5 & 6. She seemed fine and started walking toward the takeout (she refused an offer of a ride). Her boat was last seen by me entering Blackrock Rapid. Not sure how far it went after that.

Then, a commercial trip came by and pulled a swimmer into their boat. Swimmer looked shaken but ok. Shortly after, an overturned raft came down along with a couple other commercial boats. I didn't see any more swimmers and the guides didn't seem panicky, but Clear Creek rescue folks started mobilizing and sending rescuers upstream around tunnel 6. My guess is some swimmers ended up on the wrong side of the river, but that is pure speculation. Judging by the demeanor of the guides, i would say the swimmers were fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.