Tropical Whitewater Destination - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-17-2012   #1

Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 1993
Tropical Whitewater Destination

My wife and I are planning a trip and wondering if there are any really good spots that offer the beach and a whitewater?
I know that Costa Rica offers these, but wondering if there was anything better.

Thanks in advance,

JK

Jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Alaska. If you can wait 200 years
Old 12-17-2012   #3

Heaven, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 1981
Honduras. The Bay Islands for cheap diving, and the Cangrejal is a ferry ride away. Costa Rica is hella expensive right now for some reason. I was paying $2+ for local beers in sketchy joints in Turrialba last month. That ain't right.
WhatWouldJesusBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldJesusBoat View Post
Honduras. The Bay Islands for cheap diving, and the Cangrejal is a ferry ride away. Costa Rica is hella expensive right now for some reason. I was paying $2+ for local beers in sketchy joints in Turrialba last month. That ain't right.
Please do tell.
Saw an article in Hemispheres today that mentioned Honduras...so I could get some beach time in and WW both? Do you just sit around and wait for rain or what?
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #5

Heaven, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 1981
You'll have to do the homework on when the Cangrejal has ideal flows, but there is decent boating at even low levels. Check out Omega Lodge for paddling info, they are a great outfit for the Rio Cangrejal (with other paddling options) and jungle activities. They have a cozy, accessible lodge just minutes away from La Ceiba with boat rental and some really cool cabanas (the pricier ones are worth the splurge). For beach time, Roatan has great beaches and the cheapest diving in the Caribbean (except Utila, which has few beaches). PADI Certification runs around $300 and you can usually get cheap accommodation as part of the package. The diving is pretty impressive. There are also several unsung beaches East and West of La Ceiba. (Sambo Creek, Tela) You can fly into San Pedro Sula or Roatan, the latter of which is more convenient and more recommended. La Ceiba and Roatan are connected by ferry. All close and user friendly, but use caution and common sense in La Ceiba. I've been there twice now on a diving/paddling vacation.
WhatWouldJesusBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #6
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
For high quality winter paddling, Small World Adventures in Ecuador looks phenomenal. I really want to make it happen some year soon. from everything I have heard, read and researched, they have Ecuador dialed.The folks are super nice, knowledgeable, and have great food and lodging, new boats every season. theres even a combo trip with beach time.
I want.
Honduras sounds great too.That's great beta.I would like to go to Micos/Agua Azul someday too. not too enthused about going to Mexico right now tho, although i'm sure its possible to have a great safe trip to southern mexico...

Ecuador kayaking, whitewater rafting and river white water adventures - Small World Adventures, Colorado.

http://sierrarios.org/index.html

http://www.aguaazul.com/

Hope those are some good leads for you. I would love to be planning a trip. good luck !
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #7

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Roatan's diving is killer. Nothing like flopping off the boat, looking down to the sandy bottom and realize you can spot the species of fish from 80 feet up. We had a great time diving at Marble Hill Farms and staying at Paya Bay Resort.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I will third roatan's diving. We did 4 dives a day including wreck and night dives. Aweaome!
Old 12-18-2012   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I will third roatan's diving. We did 4 dives a day including wreck and night dives. Aweaome!
Harder to get to but more rustic and charming is Utila. There is a ferry from La Ceiba or you can take a daily sailboat from Roatan. Go at the right time and you will probably see whale sharks. If you stay in Roatan the west end has beautiful sandy beaches and a charming town also
Old 12-18-2012   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
My mom and I went to roatan, then ahe went to utila. She said utila was all about chasing whale sharks, which was cool, but a much different experience than the wall diving on roatan.