Triple falls first drop in rockwood box - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-09-2016   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Triple falls first drop in rockwood box

While I'm recovering from my heart transplant, I'm trying to relive some of my "glory days" on river. I ran the Upper Animas, including the Rockwood Box just below Tacoma over Memorial Day weekend in 1991. The first drop in the box was this huge triple falls, on top of the second drop a boulder stuck ~3 feet out of the water, dividing the river such that ~2/3 of the flow went river right, and ~1/3 of the flow went left. I can't find a video of this triple falls anywhere on the web. I don't know if the river has changed or if the water level was so much different (although, with narrow bed & steep walls, I'm sure it changes quickly with water level). If anyone knows of any such video on the web, could you please let me know?
Thanks,
Catmando

catmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Mandatory thrashing is the first rapid in rockwood. It has a big rock that splits the current as you described, but it would have to be pretty low to be 3 feet out of the water. Below are links to John bakers videos at 1000 and 2000 (at Tacoma). The Rock is mostly covered at 1000 and totally gone at 2000.

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I believe you are talking about Mandatory Thrashing, the first big rapid in Rockwood. There are a few Rockwood box videos on YouTube. There are also some videos of Pandora 's box, or bakers box which is the section below Rockwood, and the sieve on the Upper Animas.
I wish you a speedy recovery!
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016   #4

Portland, Oregon
Not the same

Thanks for posting the videos but neither is anything like I remember. I think the river must have changed significantly since 1991 (25 years ago). Also, the river was not that low, I think it's usually fairly high around Memorial Day (last weekend in May).
Thanks though,
Catmando
Old 03-09-2016   #5

Portland, Oregon
7.5 foot cataract went left of rock

Jmack, thanks again for the videos but doesn't one run right of the rock? I think the river must have changed since I rowed a 7.5 ft wide cataraft over the triple falls and went to the left of the rock above the second falls. However, I could be wrong about my estimate of how far the rock was out of the water but I know for a fact that I took my cataract to the left of it.
Catamando
Old 03-10-2016   #6

Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
Looks like the guy that made those videos is a total gaper. Who drags their boat into rockwood?

Catmando, you are definitely describing mandatory. It is pretty likely that the rapid has changed in 25 years of peak runoff and fall floods, though equally as likely that time and memory have combined to increase the magnitude.

Hope you heal quickly.
Old 03-10-2016   #7

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakr View Post
Looks like the guy that made those videos is a total gaper. Who drags their boat into rockwood?

Catmando, you are definitely describing mandatory. It is pretty likely that the rapid has changed in 25 years of peak runoff and fall floods, though equally as likely that time and memory have combined to increase the magnitude.

Hope you heal quickly.
It's also true that 1st person video of runs makes everything look smaller than it is.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016   #8
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatin mucho View Post
and the sieve on the Upper Animas.
I wish you a speedy recovery!
x2 on the speedy recovery! Hope everything goes smooth and quick.

Floatin mucho, do you know where some of the videos of the Sieve are? Thanks so mucho
Old 03-11-2016   #9

Portland, Oregon
Thanks, Memory, & Flow data

Dear fellow boaters,

Thanks for the information and thanks very much for the well wishes. I still have all my boats and despite turning 67 in 2 months, plan on boating as soon as I get better.

Memory is a very funny thing and exaggeration is almost inevitable (and I am on a lot of drugs)! However, I remember the triple falls like it was yesterday. And the 6 kayakers and the injured kayaker that was my passenger can substantiate my tale. I think the river must have changed.

I also remember this. While I couldn't pull over to scout and had to run it on the fly (the walls were straight up on both sides), 3 kayakers scouted river right from a micro eddy and 3 kayakers scouted the triple falls from a micro eddy on river left. The 3 kayakers that scouted from the right decided that the right side was unrunnable and ran left, while the 3 kayakers scouting from the left decided that the left was unrunnable and ran right!

Those kayakers were the nicest guys. Not only did they carry their boats and gear up the Rockwood cut (which was the mandatory takeout then - downriver was a 10 ft. or higher wall of logs completely blocking the river) but all of them made at least one other trip up the hill with part of my cataraft or gear, while I only made one.

Regarding flow that Memorial Day weekend in 1991: NOAA tells me that the mean flow that day (May 26, 1991) at their Durango gauge was 2400 cfs. Also, there was about 2.0 - 2.5 ft. of clearance between the water and the bottom of the railroad bridge at the put-in just outside Silverton the previous day. I had to pull my seat down and duck between the tubes of my cataraft to fit under the bridge.

Thanks again,
Catmando