Trip Jennings drops 101-ft. Metlako Fall - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-19-2006   #1

Trip Jennings drops 101-ft. Metlako Fall

http://www.wetdawg.com/RSS/B2/htdocs...ater_trip.html

hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006   #2

So maybe this is a dumb question, but what classifies a record drop? Do you have to make it out without taking a swim? If I were drop off Niagra Falls, swim out of my boat, get my ass kicked but survive to tell the story, did I officially drop it? There just seems to be a lot of people making record drops but there can only be one world record right? Just curious.
J Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #3

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I know at least one person has paddled over Niagra Falls...but he died...that was 160 ft.

Jessie W. Sharp was a 28 year old bachelor from Ocoee, Tennessee when he came to Niagara Falls to challenge the Niagara River. Sharp was an unemployed at the time and was an experienced kayaker.

On June 5th 1990, Sharp attempted to ride over the Horseshoe Falls in a twelve foot long, thirty-six pound polyethylene kayak. Jessie Sharp had planned this trip for three years. He brought with him a crew of three persons to video tape his journey into the darkness of the river. Sharp's motive for trying this stunt was to further his career in stunting. Jessie Sharp did not wear any protective helmet so it would not cover his face for the video. He also did not wear a life-preserver because he thought it would hamper his escape if he was caught under the Falls. After going over the Falls, Sharp planned on kayaking through the Great Gorge Rapids through the Whirlpool to the docks at Queenston. Here he had made supper reservations at the Queenston Park Restaurant.

Jessie Sharp was filmed going over the Falls in his Kayak. Sharp was never seen again nor his body ever been recovered. Another stunt of suicidal proportions.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006   #4

I believe that a fellow paddled over the falls with his 9 yr old daughter on accident. He died, she lived. So she got the 1st canoe descent.
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #5

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Maybe I missed something but didn't Ed Lucero Go off Alexandria Falls which is weighing in at 105.6 feet. You can watch him do it in Bigger than Rodeo. I believe that is the record, am I mistaken?
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #6

Can anyone answer the question of what classifies a successful drop run? We all talk about dropping shit but no one knows exactly what it means to actually drop something. Any of you old school boaters out there want to respond???
J Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #7
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
To get some really good insight into (so-called) record waterfalls, waterfall measuring, & a great all-around drama-fest with Tao, Corran, Clay, Keller & others, go here: http://boatertalk.com/forum/BoaterTalk/971447

Trip also put up a really great response to this whole thread at the very end. Unfortunately when he posted it, it was like 3 wks after the thread was active so no one's really seen his take on it. The whole thing is actually a really fun read.

I reported on Trip's Metlako run right after he did it, if you're super bored, you can see that here: http://therangelife.blogspot.com/200...lls-photo.html
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #8
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
We all talk about dropping shit but no one knows exactly what it means to actually drop something.
I think you're asking about what constitutes a "successful drop"???

That depends on who's defining "success" .. If it's Guinness, there's rules, & that would be why Ed's Alexandria drop wouldn't count (didn't he swim?) .. Everyone else is gonna define "success" a little differently. Those among us whove been around longer might look at style relative to inherent hazards. Newbies might just look at the big hole & all the spray, & whether or not the paddler came out the other side.

The only time I ever really care about anything like that is when/if the paddler is being obnoxious about having run something, like "Yo you all see how rad I am? Check me out styling that ginormo waterfall! Dig me!" .. That's when I'm like "Hey guy, you pulled a burning man & landed on your head ..."

Again, check out the BT thread & see what those guys said on all this.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #9

Sharp was a c boater
boulderite is offline   Reply With Quote