trib Tomcat...opinions? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-13-2015   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
trib Tomcat...opinions?

Because of cost restraints I am leaning towards the Tomcat as my second, higher load carrying IK [my other being the SK100ds]. I definitely cannot get a lynx or any of the other more exp. ones. So, my question is that after taking out the 2nd tier construction quality and the short warranty from the equation, is there any performance feature that would stop me getting this boat? I have not come across a single bad review of the Tomcat for upto cl 4 stuff. Agreed?

Thanks in advance.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I have had a tomcat for 10 years. It has been a good boat. Make sure you get thigh straps. I also use a round thwart for a seat back and another thwart for a foot brace.

It is a stable boat. I find it more stable than my Aire Force, but it is not as quick for turning.
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
So I've had my tomcats for 2 seasons now. I really like the boats. I got mine with the Aire brand thigh straps. My only complaint are the cams used for the straps. Aire decided to go with cheaper style cams that get bound up with sand and grit easier than the NRS style ones. I noticed at the beginning of this season that the cams were frozen in place and made adjustments impossible. WD-40 helped but ultimately I may have those cams removed and replaced with better ones...
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2015   #4

Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
Aire outfitters has bigger tubes which may give you a bigger load capacity, better stability, and more forgiving. 10 year no questions asked warranty is not bad either. You'll have a boat guarantied for 10 years.
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #5

Arlee, Montana
I sold my hard kayaks and bought a tomcat about a month ago. I can still move around the river and have fun.The boat is very stable. I did get the nrs thigh straps which I think is very helpful. It seems to be a quality boat at a price that won't break you.
JSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #6
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
if money's the limiting factor, definitely buy a tomcat.
i've had one for a few years, and i truly do love it. in both big and little water, it's an awesome boat. especially for the price.

if you have the money, get a hyside paddilac.
it'll handle bigger water better, especially with any amount of gear strapped to it...
pricey, but worth every penny

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Talk this fool down to a reasonable price. If you have any kind of skills at all, don't get one of those padillac tanks.

Pair of AIRE Lynx Kayaks (actually the boats are closer to you in New York)

I would love to continue this discussion but I am out early to the MF Salmon, Bizam!
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015   #8

Cave Creek, Arizona
trib Tomcat...opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Talk this fool down to a reasonable price. If you have any kind of skills at all, don't get one of those padillac tanks.

Pair of AIRE Lynx Kayaks (actually the boats are closer to you in New York)

I would love to continue this discussion but I am out early to the MF Salmon, Bizam!

Talk him down, but you shouldn't need to go much cheaper. I got my old (94) Lynx for $400. This guy is defiantly trying to over sell in his ad though. Also those are not Chetah seats in the picture (not saying the boats don't come with Chetah seats, just saying they might not know). Keep in mind those are foam floors. They perform great, just take up more room to transport. I have never seen a Lynx (no matter the year) for cheaper than $400 unless it was toast. I am sure it has happened, but I haven't seen one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
we got 3 early 2000 single lynxs at auction with air floors for $327 each! They were in very good shape
and here they are on the upper Chetco

gone the the MF in 5 minutes
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015   #10

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Love my Tomcat. Stepped up from a lesser boat. The sk100ds is a heavy duty sevylor I believe. Had a sea eagle, aka the sea slug. You'll love the tomcat so much it will be your main boat. Picked mine up in denver for $375 with thigh straps, cheetah chair, throw bag and paddle.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote