Trestle wave at great level right now. - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-26-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Trestle wave at great level right now.

Hit confluence at lunch today. Trestle wave was at an awesome level (1700). Good eddy service, big fluffy pile, great surfing. The pile is over your head when you are in the trough of the wave. Too much fun. Looks like steady releases from chatfield and cherry creek res might keep up the flows for a while. Get it while its good!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010   #2

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Good to know, noticed the flows today and was thinking about heading out after work tomorrow. Couldn't decide between Union Cutes and Confluence. Going to head over and look at union on my way home tonight.

See ya on the water.
Lucas
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #3
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Waves on the Platte

Union at 1000 is good and tressel at good at its current level too.

The water is better at Union and you'll have a more wave options. But, nothing is super. Tressel is littered with trash, but the wave is way more dynamic than anything at union at it's current level.

Down stream of Union about 150 yards are two more features. The second hole is good for loops.

Be careful about Tressel the slalom gates above the course were hanging in the water at the two times I was there last week at 900 and 6000 cfs. One paddler said he nearly had his helmet torn off after not seeing one. Be super careful above the drop!

Have fun be safe and don't drink the water.
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010   #4

Denver, Colorado
Trestle was actually pretty clean today. The high water seems to flush the river channel out well. No trash floating around in the eddy at all today. Of course it will return soon. Saw the same effect after a similar big water cleansing in the past.

As for nothing being super, I guess its all relative... Relative to the play features normally available on the front range, trestle at 1700 seems pretty damn good to me. Rare to get a feature that big and well formed.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Where is Trestle Wave?
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #6

At the railroad trestle bridge below confluence. About 1/2 mile north of Confluence Kayaks on Platte St.

Goggle map this address. 3101 S Santa Fe Dr, Denver, CO 80202, USA
robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Its below 20th street(skate park)its not visible from the road, you can park at cuarnavaca park and walk over or put in just bleow the skate park.... or run confluence down, once you are going under the trestle you will be there! (slightly below there)
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Anybody know who put up those slalom gates? I've been down to confluence a couple of times this season, and have tried to tighten them up, but they're VERY saggy, and I think the wire is thin enough to stretch a fair bit. It's becoming a hazard.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #9
Don

Oops

Sorry Ian.

The wave is really really good right now. Super for sure. I demoed a new boat out there and had an amazing test drive.

Jackson Super Star is great on a wave (Check).

Here is some more info about Tressel. At about 2200 you start to lose the eddy service and you have to hit it from above. At around 4k eddy service comes back. Plus, the whole river turns into a feature. You can surf from right to river left. Almost impossible to surf all the way back, you have to ditch high on the surf back and strong ferry from there.

Never really checked out down stream of Tressel. The better option is to also hit Master Balster (the feature below the Skate Park, after the wave train.) It will also give you some really snappy surfs.

Well worth checking it out. I'll be back on Thursday for sure, sometime around noon.
Old 04-27-2010   #10
Don

Gates.

We had to remove one cable from the Park. The other end was bundled up on the river right shore. The pole on the island is damaged most likely from someone hanging on the wire.

The slalom guys most have rehung some old gates and left them over the winter. I'm sure once they dust off their kayaks for the season they will fix'em or remove them. Be safe there's lots of man made stuff in this urban waterpark at times.