Tree in Gore Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-01-2004   #1

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
Tree in Gore Canyon

Yesterday (Tuesday) myself, along with Todd (from Colorado River Adventures), Billy, Mongo, Tim (from Timberline), and Mike (from Lakota), paddled Gore at 324 cfs in 2 rafts and 2 kayaks to cut a fallen tree from the river. The report was that the tree was spanning riverwide just below sissors. We got out to scout at the entrance to Gore Rapid and "Holy S&$t" is the first thing I thought. This tree was HUGE! It had fallen from river left, truely went shore-to-shore, and was at least 6-8 feet in diameter at the base! Billy guessed it was "about 500 years old". We paddled to the eddy just above the tree and cut everything out from river center to river right. What's left of the tree is hidden behind a "rock barricade" on river left and this sucker is heavy enough it should remain on the bottom when the flows come up. (It took 2-3 people to roll foot and a half sections up the hill!) All the remaining branches were cut from the log and removed from the river. There are before and after pictures posted in the creek section of the photo gallery.
https://mountainbuzz.com/album_cat.php?cat_id=5
I recommend everyone take a look as a reference for when you get up there.

Yesterday was definitely the next best thing to beer and women - rafting, kayaking, and chainsaws (and post-beer)! All the drops were "clean". It is a very creeky style Gore canyon run and a lot of fun right now.

A special thanks should go out to Colorado River Adventures and Timberline Tours for providing rafts, chainsaws, shuttles, and logistics. This is a great example of kayakers and rafting companies working together to improve and maintain the safety of our rivers.

It's on, Gore season is here...see you out there....

matt solomon
[/url]

matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2004   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Nice work that tree was huge...

How was it for the rafts at this level? Did they have clean lines or was it bouncing off rocks the whole day. I would love to get up there in my stinger at low flow if it is fun creekin...

Danny
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
i'd have to say that fisherman's was the hardest line for a raft, otherwise it looked good - some pinballing here and there, but fun. (i was kayaking) the funnest thing to watch was watching them run tunnel - neither boat scouted, they just ran it and from the eddy above, you could just see the boats sit flat, then total vert. (no flips) if you get up there, definitely take a z-drag set up in case you wrap - there are definitely some tight lines for rafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2004   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Thanks for the report that sounds super fun. If you guys head up there again I would love to hook up and paddle with Todd.

I can be reached at 303-941-1157

Danny
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004   #5

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Thanks a ton gentelman! Good on you guys for clearing that out. But, your one run up on me already! Doh...
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004   #6

Eagle, Colorado
lets go up this week after work, hobie...