Travel and Paddling Thread of Lists - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-27-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Travel and Paddling Thread of Lists

I love 'The Book of Lists ".I like making lists.We are facing a long off season around here,and have a lot of time to dream of travel and reflect on paddle destinations.I hope this thread. will be an ongoing one that people will resurrect from time to time to add to /discuss /debate /argue about /and use as a reference. Here are three totally subjective lists, roughly but not necessarily in order.

Most Interesting Countries For General Travel

1) China
2) Egypt
3) India
4) Peru
5) Turkey
6) Mexico
7) Italy
France
9) Spain
10) tie USA (for non Americans), Brazil, Russia, and Australia

Best Paddling Countries (best /most good river and /or sea paddling)

1) USA
2) Canada
3) Mexico
4) Chile
5) New Zealand
6) Nepal (and adjacent Himalayan areas)
7) Ecuador
Norway
9) France
10) Costa Rica
* Russia -China -Brazil, lots but not well developed paddling scene.

Best Whitewater Paddling States in North America

1) British Columbia
2) California
3) Idaho
4) West (By God) Virginia
5) Veracruz
6) Quebec
7) Colorado
North Carolina
9) Washington or Oregon (whichever is better)
10) Chiapas, would be hands down the best if better known and developed for paddling.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012   #2

Denver, Colorado
not sure why smiley faces instead of 8''s but means nothing

Who did I forget ? Who doesn't 't belong?We 'll get to the worst and other categories later.
Old 10-27-2012   #3

So have you been to and paddled in all these countries, or are you just pulling these lists out of your ass?
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
What 's the problem dude? Like most paddlers I have watched a gazillion videos,read books, surfed the web, run some of them, heard other paddlers tales, and dreamed of going to as many as I could. I said it was totally subjective.Just fishing tor others opinions, sharing mine, and starting a conversation.

As far as travel goes, there seems to be a general consensus among the really well travelled that China and Egypt are the most interesting.I have not been to either. I like exotic places and archaeology so Peru and India are high on my list of new places to go.I have been to 5 -9.As geography freak,history buff, and very adventurous person, I am extremely interested in travel.Maybe those things don :t appeal to you.I think they do to some others on here too.Beaches,Badass natural environments, good food, and of course paddling opportunities are highly valued in my assessments.
Old 10-28-2012   #5

I overlooked the "3 totally subjective lists" and homed in on the "use as a reference" part. I would never use a subjective list as a reference, and the way it was presented it was unclear to me what your experience is. If I'm looking for information on paddling destinations I only want opinions of people who have actually been there, paddled it, and can provide useful data and comparisons.

It sounds like you're only trying to have a bit of fun and spur some discussion, in which case I'd title it more appropriately. "Countries I'd most like to visit," Countries I'd most like to paddle," and "States I'd most like to paddle" for example.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
You are right the terms Best or Most Interesting are pretty ambiguous.Maybe me being older is part of the problem. "The Book of Lists " was super popular like 20 -30 years ago.They would give some criteria for their lists and bring in famous people to make a list.It was all totally subjective with the intent of spurring debate.

My lists are based on a little more than just opinion.I have studied the shit out of this stuff for years.One source is this forum and the feedback of buzzards that got it done.They are not necessarily my favorites.I didn't 't include BZ.-GUAT.-Honduras which are my favorites.Mexico is a nobrainer.I do give plenty of specific detailed 1st hand knowledge of traveling in and some boating in those countries all the time on here.
Old 10-28-2012   #7

Denver, Colorado
I thought the state one,in particular, would stir the pot....make your own lists of paddling related topics ( does not have to be 10) ....they had comments as to why things were selected often funny or interesting ...guess that is what is missing here.....help a bruzzard out here...
Old 10-28-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Well i guess you catch more flies with vinegar than honey....I tried being nice....can 't belive a bunch of paddllers have so little opinion or curiosity about the world..even as regards boating .......I guess it should have been a list of the 9,763 indidpensible items needed for any raft trip.of over 5 feet.
Old 10-28-2012   #9

Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
I'll bite, Colorado sucks (never boated there btw so its purely for entertainment). Washington kicks ass, should be at the top of the list.
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #10

Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Just pulled the cat out if the surf !! It is raining and the Wind, Hood , Illinois will be runnable by the end if the week. You guys exercise your imagination. The West Coasters, we will boat .....
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote