Trailers - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2008   #1

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Trailers

I am looking to buy a trailer. I have a 16' raft w/ frame ect. I am looking for a pretty simple deal to haul the pig while rigged. Any suggestions in the Denverish area to check some out. Thanks

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008   #2
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Harbor Freight Trailer
Harbor Freight LED light kit

Use a decking material like 3/4 plywood as a first layer. Then add some vertical supports like 2x4 or 2x6 length wise and at the front and then add a second layer of decking for the boat. This will get your boat higher than the wheel wells and make a nice stash spot for paddles and oars.

I think you can do it for under $325.
Old 02-25-2008   #3

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hey Fuzzy,
I have a trailer for sale in the swap section under rafts/accessories. Right now it would be hard to carry a 16' raft fully rigged on it, but you could remove the side rails. Otherwise if you didn't mind rolling up your raft it would be perfect for you. Give me a call if you want more info. Thanks, Paul
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I really don't think you could build out that harborfreight trailer to run a 16 footer inflated; and even if you did, I'd be scared about which shuttle roads I'd take it on. I also have a thing about protecting the tubes as much from rocks being kicked up, and then you're talking about flaring wood out from the frame pretty far.

I guess it really depends on your budget- I got really lucky and picked up bombproof 10' x 6' flatbed for $325, and added rollers, a winch, new tires & lighting for another $200. Personally, I think that's the minumum size you need for hauling a 16 boat- mine is the Aire 156 and it hangs off a few feet on either end. You also need to consider the length of the tongue, given where the boat sits and what happens when you turn.

My sources for tracking down trailers were:
  1. Craigslist (obviously)- but check out on the west slope & New Mexico too
  2. The Thrifty Nickel - especially the west slope. For some reason there are a ton of trailers in Junction. Probably slednecks.
  3. Northern tool has some nice pre-assembled setups: North Star Trailer Sportstar II ATV Trailer Kit — 61in. x 109in. | Trailers | Northern Tool + Equipment
  4. Build your own- Again, from Northern tool- Utility Trailer Blueprints & Dump Trailer Blueprints : Northern Tool + Equipment or you can an axel there, then go get parts locally and add your own stuff.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #5

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I bought a used 7x12 utility trailer from one of the local trailer dealers. It has short side rails, so the only way the raft can move is back. My main bitch is that the paint from the side rails tends to rub off on the PVC. I think I'm going to just add a thin strip of wood onto the rails. I also added a winch, which is great for loading when you are short of help. Those Aire rafts pull water into the floor, so they are heavy until the water drains out, but the extra weight makes them a little harder to flip.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #6

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Word.... Thanks for the beta. I think I am looking for something with a winch and rollers. It sounds like you can get the basic set-up then add on
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Here are the rollers that I added to the back on my trailer:
Northern Industrial Roller and Bracket Set | Roller Stands | Northern Tool + Equipment

and I added a removable winch up front. Here's the loaded rig:
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #8
Uncle Rico

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Hey,
Where did you get the winch for your trailer? The one that I have on my trailer is FUBAR.
Thanks,
Rico
rpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #9

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
winch

This is the one I got for my trailer.

Trailer Parts Superstore - Fulton T1500Z Boat Trailer Hand Winch
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #10

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Oh Fuzzy....

If this is the Fuzzy I think it is I am sorry to hear that you are now a full time rafter. Going so far as to have your Rig on a trailer so that you are ready to go at a moments notice to run the gnar out on ruby canyon. Just teasin' Me love you long time. T
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote