http://www.wetdawg.com/pages/whitewa...ica/index.html

hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2004   #2

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
hoya-
heading to Costa Rica in the last week of April. Mostly i was going to learn to surf/relax but kayaking seems to be a good possibility. we're on the pacific side near Jaco. any thoughts or info on who to contact for boats/guides?
Jeff
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #3

Pura Vida!!

Pura Vida!!

The Rica is sweet - Just returned from a week of pounding around the pacific coast - Learned to surf in Samara (very nice) at a place called 'jesses surf shop'. The went to Manuel Antonio and got a board from a some locals (very last surf shop as you are heading into the actual park of Man Ant. Ask for a dude named Alex - speaks good english, knows the low down)- I though it was great down there. I've heard Jaco is good too, but something about the waer quality (I'm sure confluence has it beat).

You can also rent whitewater kayaks in Quepos if you want to take them out on the ocean for some surf. I can give you tips on the great places we stayed if your interested.

Tim
Tbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004   #4

Local, Colorado
Tim:
Thanks for the info. . .

Any names of rivers Class II and III that we can run would be great.

If you have the name of that kayak shop in Quepos, or a website, I would be stoked to get some ocean surfing at Playa Hermosa. Plus, the locals will enjoy watching me get chundered in the wash. . .

Where is Quepos relative to Jaco? We are staying in Playa Hermosa at a friend's hotel. . .

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 04-14-2004   #5

Costa Rica

Hey Jeff,

A buddy of mine has a rental biz near Quepos. He has all the Riot boats, including Turbos. Just south of Quepos is the Rio Savagre, it as up to Class IV rapids. But it also has a long stretch of Class II-III WW. There is also a play spot right in Quepos, but I am not sure if it would be in this time of year.

My buddy can be reached at [email protected] He is on the road right now, in Colorado actually, but he checks his email frequently.

Take it easy,

Ken
KenDriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004   #6

Local, Colorado
Ken:
Thanks - i'll let you know how it turns out for sure.

Speaking of neophytes trying to surf in a kayak, i think Hobie's forum on surfing was a good reminder not to be an idiot. Yes, i will definitely bring some beers on the water with me for kharma, and to prevent a solid ass-whoopin. . .
Old 04-14-2004   #7

West coast paddling in Costa Rica

I just moved down to Costa Rica a few months ago and my boats just arrived from the States. I am going to go out with some of the Rio Tropicales guys next week. They do a few runs near Quepos (Sevegre and General) and also do the Pacuare and Reatazon. I'll post a trip report after I go. Send me an email if you want to hook up and boat while your down here. I live in Playa Del Coco up in Guanacaste, but will drive a few hours whenever I get a couple of days off in a row to go boat. My email is [email protected]

I moved from Vail in January.
Puravida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004   #8

Local, Colorado
Jeff -
i just shot you an e-mail. If you need it, mine is [email protected]
Old 04-14-2004   #9

CR

Paddlebizzle
Just a piece of advice. if you are new to surf kayaking, i would not go out at hermosa. that is a solid beach break that can be downright nasty. its steep and jacks up in a hurry. there is also some localism at the popular spots. try jaco (5 minutes north) or playa eserillos and bejuco (10 and 15 minutes south respectively) for more mellow and less crowded line-ups that can still be GOOD.
As far as boating, talk tot he guys at H2O adventures in Quepos. they run the naranja (probably a IV IV- and the Savagre. But they are great people (Arturo is the mexican in hoya's photos, and he is a personal friend).
Enjoy,
Darren
dregina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004   #10

Local, Colorado
Darren:
Thanks for the advice. My roomate surfs at Playa Hermosa, and he is a very good boater and surfer. He told me the same thing, and we'll probably head south to Playa Eserillos. I guess the rip tides alone are tough, let alone the surf, and i've never been kayaking on the ocean.

I'll look up Arturo at H20 Adventures in Quepos. Thanks again. Any other beta and info is welcome- thanks!
Jeff

Tags
costa rica