TR: Cheeseman - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-02-2007   #1

TR: Cheeseman

What a stupid run.

Okay, okay, okay, before Cheeseman lovers out there get all worked up, I'll admit it's just about as beautiful a place as there is in the state. But the fact is, at least at 245 cfs, it just isn't very runnable.

Many of the lines that do (should) actually go in this three-mile-long sieve (prolly about four miles of flattish water) just aren't reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I generally love the mank. But, a clean line avoiding certain-death often involves paddling uphill on damp, grabby-ass granite, or landing on a barely-submerged rock hoping momentum is enough to take you forward instead of into the numerous death-slots surrounding you.

Boo-hoo, poor me, I just don't have the game, That's fine, whatever. However, in my world, for a run to earn "classic" class V status there are a couple of factors involved. They include: Aesthetics, whitewater quality, runnability, and an "oomph" factor. "Oomph" meaning: after I put it on the line do I get more than a sense of accomplishment out of running a rapid? i.e. Big South- you "feel" those rapids. Cheeseman has very few of these.

Anyway, our crew all agreed that it makes for a great adventure, but we're not in a rush to get back there. Some final thoughts- we encountered no real issues w/ the SP residents, and this is a V+ run, the books keep sandbagging it.

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007   #2

I'm no colorado local, so I don't know all the business surrounding the cheeseman. All I know is that it is one of my favorite runs that I've gotten on while I've been here. I'm not sure what the level was, but everything was very runnable. Maybe 245 is a bit low. Compared to all the manky, sharp ass rocks in colorado, cheeseman was a great run.

And we didn't have any access troubles, other than some interesting comments from some of the fisherman. Big thanks to Gordon for leading the charge.

Dave
davidfinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #3

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 01
I agree that at 250 the cheese isn't so fun. Last year a crew and I hiked in there and scouted the drops with to see if we could return and keyak. After scouting we opted not to paddle.

This year I was able to rally the run at 300; I was suspect if this small increase would make a difference. It does and I came away considering this run a classic. The rapids are big and intimidating; a mistake could be very costly.

Maybe check this out again w/ more flow - I did and it was definalely worth it!
Whitewater Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007   #4

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I bet if you ran all of you "classic" runs at 60 cfs below the recommened level, that you wouldn't think that any of the runs were classic. 246 is way too low. I would say that 300 is about the minimum level for fun.

It is a CLASSIC regaurdless if the RCRE didn't have a good time. Maybe your pants were too tight and it left you uncomfortable in your pelvic region, I dunno. In any case take Routters rants as just that, a whining rant and get in there, it is awsome!
Old 07-02-2007   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by routter View Post
What a stupid run.

Okay, okay, okay, before Cheeseman lovers out there get all worked up, I'll admit it's just about as beautiful a place as there is in the state. But the fact is, at least at 245 cfs, it just isn't very runnable.

Many of the lines that do (should) actually go in this three-mile-long sieve (prolly about four miles of flattish water) just aren't reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I generally love the mank. But, a clean line avoiding certain-death often involves paddling uphill on damp, grabby-ass granite, or landing on a barely-submerged rock hoping momentum is enough to take you forward instead of into the numerous death-slots surrounding you.

Boo-hoo, poor me, I just don't have the game, That's fine, whatever. However, in my world, for a run to earn "classic" class V status there are a couple of factors involved. They include: Aesthetics, whitewater quality, runnability, and an "oomph" factor. "Oomph" meaning: after I put it on the line do I get more than a sense of accomplishment out of running a rapid? i.e. Big South- you "feel" those rapids. Cheeseman has very few of these.

Anyway, our crew all agreed that it makes for a great adventure, but we're not in a rush to get back there. Some final thoughts- we encountered no real issues w/ the SP residents, and this is a V+ run, the books keep sandbagging it.
for the record I ran it once in 1998 and on the way out told my friends I would never go back for all the reasons you listed above and I have never been back. I think you hit the nail on the head...every cool move in there is punctuated by the fact that you just slid by some horrible sieve. not a fan...

to each his own....right?
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #6

Golden, Colorado
All I know about Cheesman is that Gary Edgeworth has called it the most dangerous run in Colorado. Now that is scary. That is enough of a warning that I know I'll never even consider it.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #7

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I agree it is a beautiful run and it was definitely an adventure - we hiked in back in the "If you tresspass we will shoot you" days of 1997. We did miss a couple of the quality drops because of the hike. However, the other good drops tended to be walked because of consequences and if it wasn't for the one slide, I would have been disappointed. As far as "classic" I would disagree. I would say more like obscure adventure with high possibility of hostiles, worth doing if all the other shit has dried up. As for me, I agree with Mike Harvey and I probably won't be back, especially since I have another ten years on my back since the last trip down.

Just a geological note....the Pikes Peak granite formed by the batholith of the same name, is probably equally responsible for the paddlers' Cheeseman dichotomy. That is, all those coarse and carved boulders and bedrock that create the beauty of the landscape also create the difficulty of the run.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #8

usually i keep my mouth shut on these posts but since i was involved in this shit show i will add my two sense. first of all lotsof water at least we have nuts to squeeze into tight pants. who wears pants kayaking anyway. keep your p*$$y shut. second , cheeseman sucks! the only thing worth a shit on this run was slide for life, and some fun 4wheeling. i dont recomend that crap to anyone. the poor pathitic losers at s.p. can have that garbage.
THE ENFORCER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
It's a great run with great drops. It's dangerous for sure, the lines are sweet and run smooth. Let's think east coast classics- Lower meadow, lineville, manns. All scary consquences but great runs.

Great thing about kayaking runs like cheeseman, don't get much traffic which is fine by me. All great class 5 runs have dangerous rapids, cheeseman just has the most by far. It also has some of the best drops in Colorado.

Be safe and glad some of you folks got it and can make up your own mind

Gary
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #10

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Big South, ya, no, but Cheeseman at 300 cfs is good. Period. At 246 cfs I could see how things might be less padded and how some options could close down forcing more portages and mankier lines. But seriously, Routdog, this ain;t about Cheeseman at all is it. This about lotsawater and your mom. Now that's a manky line. Plus Nick Wigglestix, who is on the verge of being a father, went in there and laid the smackdown on that penisbusterparfait at 250 cfs, um no problemo so... what's your excuse again.

Reading the RCRE bitch about how bad Cheeseman is - waste of time.

Responding to bitching - even worse waste of time.

Watching Gordo charge head down past the Park County Sheriff with 13 paddlers in tow - priceless.