TR-Boxelder - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-09-2008   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
TR-Boxelder

Eric Seymour and I left Jackson at 11:30 yesterday to meet Mulkey in Shoshoni. Aaron arranged a local driver for shuttle and we put on a little after 5pm. The level was around 450cfs.

The run reminded Eric and I of the embudo with some Big South size drops. First mile is boogie. It then starts to get steeper and more substained.

We scouted 5/6 times and ran all the drops til went got to a drop that requires some rope work on river left. This is one of the last drops before you hit the walls and it gorges out.

Props to casper for finding this run. It's worthy if you go in 200cfs higher than he has recomemded. It's a solid 5 at 450 with two 5+ drops. One being a dice roll for losing all your shit and having a very very bad swim. The second looks like a potential beating, It will go we think and would have fired it, had it been warmer and earlier in the day. Once again, a swim in the steeps would probably be a complete lose of gear. All drops are pretty straight forward and some do have big holes. We had some rodeo time in a couple. We got out and did the hard hike out Mike was talking about above the falls. It took us 1hr 25 minutes too do the run.

I would recomend Min flow of 300 and max 600. As the run gets higher the scary fairy would be very scary. You have to do it above triple drop. If you miss it, there is a heavy rapid with a hole that killed a human size log and came out in pieces. The drop will go, but it's heavy.

Great run.

Gary

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Sweet report gary, doesn't sound like there were as many seives and undercuts, just big holes.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #3
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Any issues with the landowners? How did you guys deal with access?
Thanks...
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008   #4

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
anyone got a line on the gage? is it available on the internet?

any frontrangers want to get'er done saturday or sunday?
Old 05-09-2008   #5

Bozeman, Montana
usgs.org boxelder creek at boxelder..... force you want to do the full trip on sat? theres a lower canyon after the hike.......already have the access to both ends.....
Old 05-09-2008   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
anyone got a line on the gage? is it available on the internet?

any frontrangers want to get'er done saturday or sunday?
I could be down... That hike sounds brutal though. I suppose it depends on what the Poudre does in the next 24-48 hours.

Scott
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #7

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
found it,

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06647500 BOX ELDER CREEK AT BOXELDER, WY
Old 05-09-2008   #8

Bozeman, Montana
anybody wanting to run boxelder give me a call 307-797-1665
Old 05-09-2008   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Keep an eye on the level, it looks to be dropping out. Also if you don't want to deal with logistics/Mike, give Aaron a call as his friends sister owns property at the put in bridge. For a few bucks Kenny, might run your shuttle and show you the put in and takeout. This run can go lower than 300 but will get easier as it drops. At 200 a strong group should get the whole thing done.

Feel free to give me a shout with any questions. 303-949-6880

ace in the hole, double down, rollin the dice, soft 7, pocket rocket, come line are a few names I would have used for these drops. Sure you'll figure em out when you go in. Be safe and the walls are undercut.

Gary
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #10

Those names are gay. I don't think you should be naming rapids to a creek that you weren't the first to run and you havn't even run it as far as Mike. Mike and Luke have been dominating that creek and have gone further than anyone and have scouted all of it. If Mike hadn't spread the word all of you wouldn't have even had the chance to run it.
Britney is offline   Reply With Quote